Finding Corner Tank Volume

Sarah

I'm curious as to the volume of my corner tank. I know how to find the capacity of a rectangular tank - but does anybody know the formula for a corner tank?

It's 4ft across at it's widest... but other than that, it's a bit of an awkward shape.

Tank001.jpg

Tank002.jpg

Tank003.jpg

Top was a bit hard to get a photo off -

Tank004.jpg

Tank005.jpg

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure this is where all that stuff in school you'd thought you'd never use comes in handy.

the volumes of a cylinder is circle base x height

so... find the radius of the circle (the straight part)and square it, then x pi and then x height of tank. then divide by 4, because your tank looks like a quarter of a circle. your answers should be in cm cubed. 1 cm^3 = 1ml. so your total volume should be a little under whatever you get because of the flat corner.

or just count the buckets as Neffy wisely said :P

Hmmm..... truth be known.... I'd do the same .... :)

except where I wanted to be accurate..... and only measure the height of the water column to find the true volume of the water in the tank rather than what you'd get if you had an empty tank filled to the very top....

Are you... challanging my honor?? Maybe I'll have to do Wayne's way just to not be a cheater! :lol:

Harry... most of my tanks are empty at the moment after the mass death I've had this year. They are either cycling, waiting to be filled (hehe), or outside (better bring those in soon). So maybe pics once it's all stocked!

Mmm... that never crossed my mind, quite a nice idea actually.... *tempted*

Ah, but I've decided to go into the world of cichlids!

After I saw yours (what were they.. five striped something somethings?).. I had to go Cichlids.

Not a bad thing though. :)

Edited by Sarah

I don't think I'm getting those ones... seem a little too violent..

Matt made me a list (he always does, but this time I might listen haha). I'll pull it up. :)

He suggested one male of each following:

white night hap

electric blue

maleri gold peacock

dragons blood peacock

OB peacock

Flame tail peacock

rubin red peacock

red empress

Do you think that's a good plan?

Not having kept any of those before, I can't tell you if it is a good plan or not. I can tell you that it will be a pretty colorful tank :D

As for working out the volume of your tank, why go to the trouble of all that hard work when someone has already done it for you? (the manufacturer)

I thought your tank was smaller, you can have a lot more, pretty much any peacock you want, we need to go shopping :P An albino peacock, ngara flametail, tangerene peacock, sunshine peacock, assorted peacocks (hybrids), some elctric yellows, you ould get fire blue hap and maybe some blue dolphins too :D

Thanks Jarrod... colourful is what I'm aiming at - as long as they can live without any to-the-death fights, should be good. :)

Thanks Matt - shall look those up. :)

We need to go shopping = Matt picking out a bunch of fish he likes and begging me to buy them... :rolleyes: