Bully or Boy?

Hi Everyone,

I have a big red girl...well I have always thought she? was a girl.

She has never blown a bubble nest but she is a bully. She beats up males. She beats up females.

I was telling someone about her and they ask "are you sure she is female and not a plakat male?"

Ummm I dont know...I have never had anything to do with plakats. How do I tell????

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

Thanks

Michelle

Edited by mumofthehorde

Hmm very long ventral's with prominent white tips is one of the ways I sort males from females

along with larger beards, the egg spot & the barring(with mature females)

It's hard to tell from the pics though if you can get a belly shot? Some females can be VERY aggressive though.

Just at a glimpse, that's a PK boy. Very long ventrals (too long for female), masculine face and from that front view pic has a pretty butch top line (almost like a hump and gives the appearance similar to a great big barramundi). The anal is a little confusing in so much as it's not as long/pointy as you'd expect for a PK boy.

:)Don't you just hate the guessing game.

I had a female that was agressive and blowing bubble nest etc. Figured she was a he and seperated him from the others and put him into the jars with the males. Took him out of the jars last night and put him in the barracks next to another male. Got up this morning to a visable egg spot, vertical bars and a big belly of eggs! She has spawned with one of my males this afternoon. Even in the spawn tank she blew a bubble nest almost as good as the males while she was in the chimney and when I let her out she helped him finish off the bubblenest while they were spawning.

From having to start sexing my 2 PK spawns not that long ago, I am 99.999% sure you have a PK boy there. As others have said above, those ventrals give it away as well as the body shape and from what I can see of the shape of the anal fin.

ok..this might explain some of my problems spawning then..

I have tried to take some better photos but the fish had different ideas.

I have 3 bullies, this one, another one that I got at the same time from the same LFS and looks very similiar (Long ventral etc, trying to get a good look at her? belly) and a big blue girl but she gets vertical stripes and has a huge egg spot. My blue girl beats up any boy too.