My boy won't make a bubblenest

luv_my_fish

I'm starting to think I let the female out for too long because, looking back, she kept trying to go under the foam cup where the male was and he kept chasing her away. Maybe she was harrassing him too much so he didn't have the time to make one. I put her back in her floating container thing last night and now I have a nest :cheer:

Well his nest is getting smaller and smaller, so I've hidden the female from him and put another male next to him (a male that KNOWS how to make a GOOD nest) LOL. Hopefully he will learn a thing or two.

I've noticed he has been looking for the female, so maybe it is a good sign?

I don't think you would need to hide the female from him. If both of them decide to spawn, he'll fix the nest as they go... My boy blowed and fix his nest while spawning. Now, the nest is messed up and only a small clusters of bubble holding all the eggs. -Just- big enough to hold all the eggs.

Maybe it's a good sign. Have you tried to let the female out after he made his nest?

Well I only hid her because I've read that they can get use to seeing eachother and not much will happen, and it's been about a week since I introduced them.

His nest looked a liiiiiiiiiiitle bit bigger today, so I let her out again. Will see what happens now.

From the looks of things, the female wants to be welcomed under the nest, but the male just isn't having it lol

I'd say that depends on you the pair and the lineup for the spawning tank :P . One of the fish (or both) may not like each other and so they don't want to spawn. Maybe try a different pairing?

Did you put IAL in? Personally, I would keep trying until 2 weeks mark; then I'd give them a rest for a day or two, then start again. (or with another pair)

I thought about a different pairing, but I'm going for PKCT, and I only have the one CT male (yes I know it will take up to F3 to get a PKCT lol), and he seems to be the one with the problem. Maybe he just doesn't like the female I chose, which is a shame because she is the better of them.

And yes, I did put IAL in there...it's the whole shebang in that tank! LOL

Edited by luv_my_fish

Who knows..... I have never had a problem before but feel like I couldn't breed rabbits at the moment. Lol.

After 10 days I would at least separate them. Keep them carded and feed em up. Try again in a week or two.

That's what I am trying anyway. :-)

Come to think of it, I've only ever had 1 successful spawn and it took about 3 months all up for it to happen...and it happened on a fluke on NYE!!!

I was sort of hoping it would be easier this time. Usually CT's are my fav, but this red boy of mine is making me maaaaaaaaaaaaad!!! LOL

Actually...it sounds like a big storm coming...bettas 'usually' spawn after rain yeah?

Edited by luv_my_fish

I really feel for my boy just now!

Sat here watching him in his first attempt to blow bubbles. Out comes 5, 6, 7 bubbles, but most of them are popping against the side of his half polystyrene cup XD

Problem with his technique or is there something I can do to make my water quality more bubbly? (Carbonated? Bwahaha)

My IAL sunk days ago! Is that bad? How often are we suppose to change it? He has a half foam cup in there to make his nest under, but maybe he would prefer IAL or some sort of other leaf?

I saw in an LFS the other day a 'Betta Hammock'...it's a plastic leaf attached to a suction cap, so you just suck it onto your tank wall and the betta 'lays' in it LOL

According to the seller who I purchased my IAL from, IAL -is- supposedly to sink. That's when they released most of its tannins.

But IAL is very light; that even a small betta's nest can easily keep it afloat.

Of course, there are others way to keep the IAL afloat. I generally use cheap and easy to reproduce floating plants (i.e: amazon frogbits) under the IAL. The plants will slowly die, but as long as you can keep the plants from dying; and take it out from under IAL, they can easily keep it afloat. If the plants under the leaves die; then they will rot and will affect your water quality.

These Frogbits have been 4 weeks under IAL; soon I'll need to take it out from there. Please don't mind the reflection :lol:

underIAL.jpg

Cruelty to plants.. I know.. :(

But I think foam cup or bubble wrap can do as well as IAL for the bubble nests.

Edited by kertaz

This CT male of mine didn't seem interested in bubblewrap <_<

I've decided to change the pairing...

I've taken the old female out and put her in the hospital tank with Pimafix in it to help heal her nipped fins (not much damage, but enough for me to care :blush: ) :giggle:

I put another female in, and I can sense some sort of attraction because he isn't flaring and getting as agro with the new girl as he did with the old.

Can betta's tell the difference in females??

I throw 3 ial in my 5L spawning tanks i wasnt having much luck either with just the 1 leaf. The boys ive spawned recently didnt use anything to put their nests under just amongst the floating plants.

Yea I think they can tell the difference and will pick out the female they want if given a choice.

Hi LMF

would you like some water sprit to put in the tank? it may help they do like to hang around under it and maby he might blow a bubble or two. I am also making some banana tea on satarday so if you would like to try it ill give you a Ltr give me a call on th Phone as the Internet keeps dropping out at the moment

Cheers

Les