Re-sealing leaking tank (around 40 litres)

]Tomorrow is the day, the little spawn/grow-out tank started leaking a few weeks back, the kids have all been re-located and it's time for this tank to get a little TLC.

I saw this video on youtube and this site's instructions - and thought i might give it a go.

If i can get to bunnings (my car is a little reluctant to play with me at the moment) I will post step by step shots of my success/failure.

I'm somewhat inspired as I don't have to take the whole thing apart (see video) but can just re-seal the lot from the inside.

Hope this might help others, as I'd struggled to find much info on the process on this forum.

Wish me luck!

-DIYNess

I'm doing a reseal on a 2ft tank today - the hardest part is stripping all the old silicone off - personally I wouldn't be using acetone (fingernail polish remover) inside the tank - a razor blade is good enough to remove old silicone for a reseal and then I usually clean the area with isopropyl alcohol (or metho if no isopropyl around).

For silicone - the best are:

Rhodorsil V2

Dow Corning 480

both are around $8 - $12 per tube depending where you buy it.... both are available in clear, white or black....

For second best (and most available) use the Selly's Glass silicone (has aquariums listed as a use on the label) - about $7-$8 per tube from major hardware stores....

DO NOT use any other silicone - most have anit mould and other chemicals in them that do not tend to go well with fish.

Lots of photos please Ness. Never been game to have a go myself. Would really like to build a tank/barracks/display tank out of two footer with sump in the back. Just not confident.

I will think about it, research it then buy one. Lol.

I want tips on glass cutting and tank building as well. I'm going to start a new thread so we don't hijack Ness' resealing thread which has been advertised as having video and pics even though there aren't any yet. I hope she wasn't referring to the YouTube. Sorry Ness, it has to be YOUR video. *lol*

Just sat down after a 40 min DIY Extravaganza... the only issue will be the amount of photos I have to upload (ehem)

I found this a pretty easy process, the lengthy part was driving to the hardware store to collect scraper/blades/tape and silicone, only to find that I had to drive to the aquarium to buy the right silicone.

At least the lovely guy at the hardware store didn't just try to sell me any old silicone...He warned me off the black stuff, and a few other brands - as they have chemicals that are antibacterial/antifungal and leach poisons - we don't want this for obvious reasons.

Please note, this is a back-up grow out tank and is not designed to be a display tank, thus I've elected to attempt this - I can't really be bothered making it immaculate, but found the process quick and easy (I'm pretty slap-dash!) and if you took better care it would probably be easy to execute a tidy re-seal...

IMG_5067.jpg

List of supplies;

Silicone (tanksafe) $12

Blades $2

Blade holder thingy $4

Masking tape $5

Silicone gun thingy $11

iPhone that dosen't really work as a phone $ Priceless

Tank in question:

IMG_5069.jpg

You'll notice the tank has 3 sides with that litte 90 degree support, this is to increase surface area tension, as this is stuck on with silicone also... the one side that leaked had no support, and had just started leaking in a small area:

IMG_5070.jpg

getting the silicone off was pretty easy, came away quickly:

IMG_5072.jpg

<continued>

Once all silicone bits were off:

IMG_5075.jpg

Edited by melbournebetta

(thanks bus)

... Made sure everything was super dry, and applied the masking tape - I should have slowed down at this point but I kept thinking "it's just a grow out tank" and I didn't want to have to do it AGAIN, so i made the gaps between masking tape rather large:IMG_5081.jpg

...and obviously didn't worry too much a bout making it all straight.

These little black "corners" were great, I used them as a guide, and I can see how they are a great cheat as you can't really see the silicone job behind it.

Hot tip: Make the joins at the bottom slightly larger and use a little more silicone

Time to look at the silicone gun and piece the cannister, but before you do that, here's another

Hot tip: cut the top of the nosel on a slight angle, this will give you more control of the silicone as it comes out.

another Hot Tip: PRACTICE WITH THE SILICONE FIRST! it is easy to control, and when you have completed one corner, release the tension on the trigger so the silicone dosen't keep coming out.... THATS how you make a mess

Practice:

IMG_5087.jpg....awwww

Used the blade to cut the nosel on an angle:

IMG_5085.jpg

comment pls ! applaud.gif.gif

...not the most perfect job, but you get the hang of it pretty quick.... my youtube video said work from the bottom up...

so I did all the bottom first (with a bit more silicone here than for the sides)

Then did each corner from the bottom towards the top

IMG_5093.jpg

Edited by melbournebetta

Now for the fun bit - trust me, I have a doctorate in DIY... Hot Tip: Silicone is strong, put gloves on

IMG_5094.jpg

This is the fun bit!! Remember this stage is about spreading the silicone and making a neat edge, it increases the surface area, you don't want to push it around, but just manipulate it into the corners and change it's shape.

IMG_5098.jpg

Some say wait, some say go for it, I say go for it... take the tape of fairly quickly after you have smoothed it out (this is a messy process, my hot tip: leave the bloody gloves on!) - I wish i had

IMG_5101.jpg

If you wait for the silicone to skin you will then have a trimming job to do later on.....

Well done Ness..... what type of silicone did you end up getting from the LFS? Haven't seen that label before.....

<woah this is taking much more effort than I had anticipated>

...Where was i? oh yes - masking tape removal

Here's the wet finished product:

IMG_5102.jpg

It's not all that tidy - but as I said, that wasn't an objective, if YOU want it tidy, you can always wait the 1-2 days until the silicone is completely dry and clean up by cutting it with a razor

IMG_5105.jpg

The masking tape did a good job of keeping it between the lines

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

'Razzi,

Yeah, I left the joins in tank with the old silicone, I am trusting that the application of the new silicone is strong enough to hold the whole thing together, and make it water-tight.

I have to admit it was a little wobbly, so the silicone between the joins was all that held it together while i was doing this job.

However, the black struts down each corner (on the outside of the tank joins) seems to have held the whole thing in place... I would recommend getting some of those if you were building tanks - extra surface area and strength.

Didn't wait for the silicone to skin, it's the same principal as paint - and i don't wait for that to skin either.

-Ness

Nah your fish shouldn't die Ness.... checked it out and apparently the US FDA has approved it as food safe and its an acetic cure so sounds all good .... great to know another silicone that is safe for fish....