Aristotle Axolotl

Sarah

Last night I went and got myself another Axolotl.

I named him Aristotle Axolotl. *lol* My friend thought of the name, I think she saw it on TV somewhere. Anyway I think it is a cutie name!

Photos -

iphonephotos003.jpg

iphonephotos008.jpg

Such a sweet thing. Already I'm attached. He is always smiling. :love: Waves at me too. Dawwww. He (I hope it is a boy, as his name is Aristotle Axolotl afterall) is still very small -

iphonephotos009.jpg

That's my thumb. Bear in mind that I don't have the biggest hands around...

Has like a bite in it's side? Should I be worried... what can I do?

iphonephotos005.jpg

iphonephotos010.jpg

I brought him from Auburn Aquarium, so it is possible a few of you may have seen him already. :)

Banana, the yellow axie my sister gave me for Christmas was from Auburn too, and she told me that there was a smaller yellow one and a grey/black speckled one there too, and Aristotle Axolotl, I believe was the speckled one (there was also a yellow one as well)... so... they were AQUARIUM BUDDIES! Lacey said she felt a bit sad leaving Aristotle Axolotl behind as they were hugging.. but they have been reunited. :hug: I love happy endings.

More photos later. I still have a few of Aristotle Axolotl's battle scars. :notsure:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bite, probably hurt himself on the awful fake log someone put in their tank. Or gotten over to the sump area, they have a habit of doing that. I think a fair few fish meds are toxic to axolotls, if the wound does start looking nasty, you can safely use salt (1 tsb per 2lt) and/or Melafix.

edit; the wound looks 'clean', no irritation, redness, fuzzy, etc. But I'm looking at photos, not the real thing.

Edited by Yan

.... maybe it wasn't the log, I love my tree stump! Yes, wound is clean, looks worse than it is in the photos. I have salt and Melafix, so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip. :) Oh, there is no sump in the tank, just the filter, so luckily that won't happen (unless it happened in the LFS, I didn't take much notice of the tank they were in). :)

Thanks Shadoh. Yes, they are both in a 4ft tank (400L, it is a big one). They are so happy! Swimming.. playing, cuddling.. smiling.. :love: The plan is to add a couple more.

Just discovered little Aristotle Axolotl is missing the tip of his tail. :(

Shows how well I inspected him at the LFS eh? I'm usually extra picky and look for even the tinniest impurity (for want of better word) in any live animal I may buy. Oh well, it'll go back. :P

Yan (hopefully you'll see this). Do you happen to know if he was eating?

I've had him for a couple days.. nothing. Won't eat anything - not even live worms! Banana being a little pig. Have moved him into a large tub.. that'll help me keep an eye on him. Bare bottomed too. Plants, PVC pipe.. good temp. We'll see.

Edited by Sarah

Sorry, no idea if he was eating. We get Axys in that colour quite a lot so I can never really tell which is which. Are you keeping them together? He might catch on if he sees Banana eating. Have you tried larger live foods like Earthworms? Or have you got any livebearer fry of a decent size you want to cull?

I'm really not sure if this works for Axys like it does for fish so you're best off checking at an actual Axolotl forum or something, but food soaked in garlic juice (or even just rubbed on the garlic) can entice most fish to eat. Smells good and can help clear parasites out of the gut. But please do ask someone who specializes in them first because I have no idea if it's poisonous to them or something.

Thank you for the reply Yan. :)

No fry at all here.. they were together, but are apart now. He is in a large tub so that I can see if he is really eating, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check it with some axie people. :)

Oh yes, earthworms are Banana's favourite. He won't touch them. <_<

Guess what I've just found!

Aristotle Axolotl passed out three small pebbles.. not one, THREE! No wonder he wouldn't eat!

I'm really happy I put him into a bare-bottomed tank, so now I know..

It wasn't there an hour ago, so that's why he was looking funny. Tried another worm, no luck. Maybe tonight.

Wondering if the LFS had them in gravel.. I can't remember.. or at least the supplier did at some stage.

I'm sure he will come through. I cannot believe this, that little axie ate THREE pebbles and they digested. Poor little thing.