Aristotle Axolotl

Sarah

Hope he starts eating for you Sarah. I know you tried to show a betta how to blow a bubble nest with a straw so why not eat some spagetti in front of the tank. Lol.

Good luck, make sure you let us know how he goes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just did some googling for you. Apparently it has to do with temp and occasionally they will just randomly stop eating for a few days O_o

http://inky.50megs.com/axolotlnewfaq.html#Question6

http://www.axolotl.org/faq.htm#44

good luck, hope the links help since i have no knowledge of axolotls myself :P

Thank you MT Sydndrome, that was very kind of you. :bighug:

This picture is the size of the pebbles/gravel Aristotle Axolotl ate, but not the exact ones. He is so small...

newtoday.jpg

Thanks Jo. :) Um.. no, I don't think I'll post that. :lookaround:

It has been 1 week today that I got Aristotle Axolotl, but still won't eat anything. :(

I'm pretty worried for his health, sure, they can go that long without eating - but why would he? The temp is fine, everything is fine.. but no interest of food. He hasn't even been trying to eat it.

I'm contemplating trying to force feed him.. but he is a juvie, and I don't want to harm him.. what should it do!?! :((

Oh yeah!

We force-fed him. It was unbelievably easy. He cooperated with us. :cheer:

We put him in a Chinese-container, covered him with water, then I held him softy, and pryed his mouth open with a cotton-bud/q-tip (gave him watered down axolotl pellets in a syringe). Waited 10 minutes, gave him the other half. This time we just used the syringe, as he knew what we were doing and seemed pretty happy. He was hungry, just gulped it down straight away. :D I'm so happy.

Thanks Busman. :)

I was pretty cautious, as the directions of the article (which I didn't end up following anyway) said it would harm young axies. I'm happy I did though. He already seems a bit more active, and happier. I'm tempted to give him more now, but I better wait until tomorrow to let him settle a bit..

He seems a lot better today, I'll try giving him more food later tonight.

Past few nights I've been attacked by mozzies.. whatda know.. they have been breeding in Aristotle Axolotl's tub <_< .. EVERYWHERE those wriggles were. What do I do? Take Aristotle Axolotl out (as he had no interest in them) and popped in Blueberry, my CT. Boy did he love that! None left, it is pretty amazing how he can hunt them down. :)

No, still nothing on his own. Maybe the wriggles were too fast for his back-to-eating-on-his-own-like-a-big-boy-rather-than-being-hand-fed meal?

does that mean that the blood you supplied to the mozzies to make the wrigglers has now been gobbled by your betta?

*gulp* :blink: Didn't think of that.. but that's the adults (which I'm still trying to figue out how they got there), not the wrigglers.. unless they feed them like mother-birds or something. Blueberry did try to bite me.. :scared:

I'm not sure if I should say he is getting worse, or improving.

So last night I force-feed (lets call it hand-feeding, sounds a bit nicer), and he squirmed, oh did he squirm! Didn't want anything to do with me, and then regurgitated his food! :(( *Sigh*.

He is a lot more lively, and that's good. Still doesn't want to eat anything on his own. I had a dream last night he was eating worms fine, was nice and plump, got up.. (I really thought it was real) only to be disappointed. :(

:alright: :bighug: have you been able to get any advice at all from the LFS? or maybe even a friendly vet? Poor Aristotle, maybe he still has some of that pesky gravel in his gut :( Jo

http://www.axolotl.org/faq.htm#29 Hope I'm allowed to do this!! Just did a google and got this hope it helps xxx Jo

I haven't called up the LFS, maybe they could give me some hints.. they are very helpful with other things..

Maybe he does still have gravel in his system, that thought did past my mind, but I'm not sure... thanks for the link Jo, that was really kind of you. :) He is in a bare-bottomed tub, and does float, but can swim and maneuver just as well so I haven't lowered the water level (about 30cm). Do you think I should lower it?

As for feeding oil.. a very different thing, I've never heard that suggested anywhere else. Have to give that some thought.

Thank you Jo!

HE ATE A WORM!!!!

YAY!!!!

He was doing some funny wriggly thing, even sticking his head out of the water (:o ) so I put in a worm and I've been told he was chewing.. and it is GONE!!!

I'M SO HAPPPPPYYYYY!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: