Low Light n Fabulous

Yanagi

Hehe, I'm so happy with this tank I had to make a thread just to show it off. :) All I want to add to it now is a couple more Crypts along the front and various Anubias, but the person I bought an Anubias plant pack from on ebay last time doesn't seem to have any so that will have to wait. :( It's for 5 B. Rutilans that I'm getting on thursday. :) So here it is!

WIP...

RutilansTank5oct.jpg

RutilansTank6oct.jpg

There's a lot to be said for low light plants - the tank looks really good... nice colour gravel too....

There's just been an ad put on the classifieds for A. nana - looks good healthy plants....

some fresh water seaweed would look good in small clumps too....

Thanks Guys. :)

'anubius pack on ebay' lol care to share the secret? :D

http://shop.ebay.com...=&_trksid=p3686

This is the guy I bought it from, he seems to only sell individual ones now. I really liked the lot I got from him, I believe it was 1 Nana, 1 Barteri, 1 Afzelli, 1 Hybrid. Unsure on the price but I remember it being a good deal.

Substrate is Red Sea's Flora Base in case anyone was wondering. I'm not really a fan of subwassertang, or maybe I just haven't seen it used in a way that I can appreciate.

I just sent off a PM to the person selling the Anubias. :P

Got a call from the LFS, of the 5 Rutilans I ordered, Bayfish only sent 1 pair. I'm going to assume this is the last of the batch and prepare myself for disappointment. Le sigh. Oh well, I can get some more plants while I'm there, at least the tank will look good LOL

Gravel is Red Sea's Flora Base, it's for planted tanks. :) I believe it's made from a volcanic ash based soil and is supposed to buffer the pH to somewhere between 6.5-7. I think it keeps it at around 6.8 in most of my tanks, but that could also be from driftwood, IAL, etc. My water is about 7.4 out of the tap.

It's ridiculously cloudy at first unless you're adding water at a glacial rate, but I love it.

Looking at it again today, I am thinking I need a stem plant along the back. Something like bacopa or pennywort. I do have a few green hygro cuttings in there and it looks ok, but the leaf is a bit big for what I was hoping to achieve. I'm not sure if I want to pull them up and stick to things like swords, crypts, ferns and mosses or give the pennywort a go. I do feel like it needs something but with the driftwood there is not a lot of light near the bottom.

I really didn't give myself enough time to play with the tank before ordering the fish, lol.

Hey Yan where do you get your substrate? My Amazon swords are dieing, fast! They cost way too much to lose them so need to get some good subrate ASAP!!! The young leaves are yellow (immobile element obviously) and vein bits are red/brown can't figure out what kind of deficiency. Anyway had a look online and that same substrate you got there is $33 but then they charge about $20 for shipping on top ugh. That substrate looks pretty and sounds like its good quality.

Hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread?

Edited by fishish

I got it from my LFS, since I doubt you want to make the trip from Melbourne, you're best off calling up your local aquariums to see what they have. Cost me I think $40-60. Plant substrate is not cheap stuff no matter where you buy it. Plants in general are not cheap stuff. :P You most likely have iron and potassium deficiencies. They're always the most common. They probably need more light, too. I don't think swords can really heal their leaves once they're damaged. I've always just cut them off at the base and wait for it to grow new leaves. Yours might be too far gone.

I don't mind. :)

EEEEK! *runs around banging into walls* lol :P hmmm me thinks i better make the call. i guess the total cost incl shipping is cheapish then but will take days and days to reach me. not alll leaves are dieing, just one youngist one on each sword, they have about 6 leaves each, too far gone? if i get substrate in next few days but not a better light immediately, is that gunna be a waste of time?

Thanks Yan :)

Edited by fishish

If you're going to pursue plants it's not a waste of time in the long run, you will need these things. But don't cheap out on the fundamentals like good lighting, good substrate, fertilizers, etc. You'll only be causing yourself more stress in the long term. BTW Don't even bother with co2 (not even DIY) until you get these things in place, it's useless unless the fundamentals are there. Dunno about too far gone, would probably have to see it. If it's just the new leaves being effected I'd probably snip them off once you got proper substrate and fertilizers. The new leaves dying off does sound like iron to me.

My substrate is supposed to be pretty high in iron but I still have to dose Seachem Iron or my red plants and the more difficult plants look crappy.

Hey Yan where do you get your substrate? My Amazon swords are dieing, fast! They cost way too much to lose them so need to get some good subrate ASAP!!! The young leaves are yellow (immobile element obviously) and vein bits are red/brown can't figure out what kind of deficiency. Anyway had a look online and that same substrate you got there is $33 but then they charge about $20 for shipping on top ugh. That substrate looks pretty and sounds like its good quality.

Hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread?

Have you being down to st kilda aquarium? There have so many types of substrate it's not funny. I remember seeing this red sand kind of substrate that I was told for planted tanks. It provides iron and some other kind of metal (could be potassium) I wasn't paying too much of attention since planted tanks isn't my thing at the moment. They might have what you're looking for there, it will save you the postage for it.

Looks Good!

Water will desirably be very soft and acid.....not keen on gravel that buffers to 6.5.....as it may add to hardness

These fish can be suseptable to velvet if water is not soft and acid enough

I don't have rutilans but I do have several other cocaine types

Coccina,uberis,burdigala

A pair is all you will need

They come from black water swamps.....so I add ketapang leaves

Thanks Rod. :)

I have softened the water and lowered the pH to about 5.5, will need to find a test kit that can test lower than what I've got. I don't think the gravel actually does much at all in the way of buffering. I've got 3 leaves in there and need to actually order more. Oops.

I barely ever catch a glimpse of these fish, very frustrating. Perhaps I gave them TOO many hiding spots, lol. They look healthy from what I can see.

What are their diets like? Mine won't take pellet, flake, I've tried blackworm and that was a no-go. I saw the male munch down on an adult brine shrimp and haven't seen the female eat at all.