Electricity bills...

littleangel

Hi guys.

Just wondering if when you started keeping fish your electricity bills doubled?

i have had mine for about 8 months now - i have 5 tanks and only 3 are running all the time. each has a heater and only 2 have a filter. The other 2 are only running when spawning, and in the last three months only one was gong for a week. But i just received my bill for the last 3 months and it has doubled?

can i ask what yours are like and how many tanks you run and all that... little worried i may have to get rid of my bettas.... :byebye:

Doubled? How much was it before? I did notice some raise (only marginally) but no significant increase. I run 4 tanks, each with a heater (25w or 50w), and one has an in built filter and the rest three are run by 3 sponge filters.

Not sure what the go is in Adelaide but there's talk here in Melbourne our electricity costs are set to double even if your consumption hasn't. Can't wait for my next bill.

I'd check your cost hasn't gone up.

My bills havent changed too much from this time last year (Ive added 3 large tanks since then..) but the price is high, I put it down to winter though.. I like my heaters, and I suppose the tank heaters will turn themselves on more often which could up the bills a bit..

My bill this year is $200 less than last winter... this time I turned the heaters down to 22oC instead of running them at 27oC like last year. Also put individual jars of bettas in large tubs with one heater rather than run a reptile cable over a shelf. Didn't run the heater in my display tank inside and it never got below 20oC at any time I checked the temps. Most tanks running sponge filters driven from one large air pump. Don't need to run heaters in the house at all. I think just turning down the temp of the heaters saved that much alone. Also restricted the time the lights were on over tanks to about 6 hours per day (only have anubias, java fern, mosses and other low light plants).

By next year I may have sumped the tanks in the rack in my shed so as to just have a couple of heaters running instead of the 18 that are warming individual tanks there now. Also going to see if I can put styrofoam at backs and sides of tanks to assist in keeping in heat - or enclosing the entire rack so it retains heat and therefore needs the heaters on less.

I wouldn't blame your heaters for your bill doubling. Electricity charges have dramatically increased and are set to continue. Before I installed solar panels my bills had reached $800.00 per quarter despite having gas hot water, gas heater and gas stove, I also only run energy saver lights and only light the room I am in and I have an LCD TV. There are only two of us living here and I am at work 5 days a week. My recommendation to everyone is seriously consider solar power if you can or soon you may be paying over $1000.00 per quarter in power bills for an average household.

$650 !! I wont complain about ours then. Our last quarterly bill was $200. The last excess water bill was two or three years ago and that was for $41, since then i've put in a sprinkler system. Not noticed any dramatic increase since the tanks have come on line.

• 2 months later...

I'm having this problem now! Bill has gone up at least $100 per month ugh! have just turned off my air pump that was connected to three sponge filters, they'll have to be un-filtered. Not sure what else I could do?? Lights are perhaps an issue but if I turn them off my plants... ???

Does anyone know if there was a date for when electricity prices go up in Melbourne? I tried to determine the increase by comparing the back of the bill with last months, ie it has the KW stuff with lots of little numbers, the usage based on those but not the 'rate' per KW or whatever has increased so it looks like I can't blame the Government/power company but it is just my tanks that are doing it??

Oh no! :((

Your air pump won't use much electricity at all.... biggest users of power for fish tanks are heaters and lights.... turn down your temps on the heaters and reduce the number of tubes and hours you run the lights for and you'll save a lot of electricity....