Shopping day

Neffy

I went shopping today :D I was really happy to find this "giant" in body size he is massive but overal same size as other fish due to the short fins. He is a cambodian like but he has the shiny irid blue/purple over him like a lavender with the purple in his fins so im excited to see if i can get a spawn from him ! I also got this blue red halfmoon he looked more lavender in the shop but is actually a blue he will still be a pretty pet but i dont think i will breed with him.

Edited by Neffy

The 2nd boy looks great... he seems "well balanced" and his colour is really striking. Is he quite metallic? He looks like a metallic turquoise or metallic green. If he is, a spawn with a "lavender" female -- usually steel blue over red -- should give royal blues over red... sounds nice!

Coburg aquarium? :P I was eyeing off thatred-ish giant, but I went with a wild colour one :P

I also have your other fishies brother :P They lok very much alike :D Though mines a little more blue :)

I really love the giants colours! Congrats on the new fish :D

Hmm im not sure if metalic, he is shiny so maybe? He does have good shape, anal a small bit out of the circle but hes being quite shy so its hard to tell atm.

Yes from coburg hehehe !

Im glad u didnt get him XD

I saw a really cute black white marble pk as well i regret not getting him :(

They did have lots of the blue reds XD took me a little while to pick from them hehe!

What do you guys think of the conditions the bettas are kept in at Coburg Aquarium? I live near there, pretty much down the road :P went to see a few months back but I thought the bettas looked really dejected in their little jars just kinda floating, drooping fins and some even lieing on the bottom of the jars! Was kinda worried they wouldn't be healthy but Neffy's boys look pretty good! They had sooo many they must stay there awhile before people give them a home?

Sorry to deviate...

Nice fish Neffy :)

Edited by fishish

I would not say that Coburg has the greatest facilities for keeping Bettas but the conditions are much better than several other aquariums that I have seen.

Any Bettas I have purchased from Coburg have prospered

And also they have a sign indicating that Bettas are not cold water fish.

I like the blue-red boy although he looks kinda green in the pic. I'd love to be able to develop a bicolour line that had irid on the body and red fins. The problem I think is restricting the irids to the body without it bleeding onto the fins. It would be fun to work with though and I think something like this boy would be a good start.

Well there was one dead and quite a few with chewed/finrot tails, but they do have a better range then most places stocking giants and halfmoons.

My Red blue boy as u can see has a few bites, and that was the only flare he did before going back to sulking, he still hasnt perked up he seems depressed a bit so i might move him to a bigger tank. Just notice he has a sore lump near his face, hard to see in the lights but i did inspect really carefully haha

That would look nice ! but the bleeding would be hard to manage id imagine, i dont have any suitable females to achieve anything like that atm hehe

Edited by Neffy

I think the bettas at Coburg start looking a bit worse for wear when it starts to get near the end of that batch of stock. So the trick is to find out when the next batch will get released from quarantine (they import their own) and then try to get in there pretty soon after -- as in days, not weeks.

I did think of that, sound like its definately a good idea. Regardless, other than finrot what else should you look for in detecting illness in a fish shop? I'd think ammonia poisoning is one? but don't know if its a problem in terms of buying a fish? and what else? I'm way too much of a novice to feel confident atm :P

Hope your boy cheers up Neffy.

Edited by fishish

My blue/red boy is also very shy and hiding a bit, I have him hidey places and he seems to have perked up a bit.. Ive barely been able to get him to flare <_< I hope your boy perks up soon :)

Im not a huge fan of coburgs betta setup.. but you have to admit, the rest of the store is pretty epic :P One of the best Ive seen anyway :)

That would be nice to get the pick of the bunch but not too achievable for working me :( i bet itd be a weekday, but going early the following weekend might be possible.

I look for even scales, no lumps or discoloured scales but as ive found out its really hard to tell in the shop sometimes.

My guy seems a bit better in the larger tank :D

I usually take a torch with me when I'm shopping for bettas. I've got this great little LED one at he moment which I found in Coles or kmart. Produces a very strong white light and fits in my pocket. And a mirror is useful too. Just remember to take it out of your back pocket before you get back into the car. That reminds me... I must get that tattoo fixed up to hide the scar a bit better.

A torch wouldnt spook them ? the staff dont mind ?

It's not really going to spook them. Just a bit of extra light. My torch is only 5cm long. Fits in the palm of my hand. I don't see why they would mind. I took out my camera once at St Kilda Aquarium and started taking photos. They minded then! *lol* Although I had actually asked another staff member.

I took out my camera once at St Kilda Aquarium and started taking photos. They minded then! *lol*

The trick is to not get caught, its like reading the tv guide in the newsagents without actually buying it ;) of course i wouldn't encourage such behaviour! :D

I thought I commented already. Apparently not. Oops. Aweomse fish! :) I love the Giant's colour.

I'm going to be in Melbourne on the weekend and hoping to sneak away to a few Aquariums, hehe. Would you mind saying how Coburg prices their Fighters? HM, Giant, PK, etc.. PM if you like. :P

haha i would be too paranoid about getting in trouble!

HM & Giants $25 didnt pay attention to the others but they also had a sign for imbellis 9.95 but I didnt see any. the rest where under 20 standard was also $9ish