Best/Favourite Betta water conditioner ?

Shannonbjs

ok so just curious what water conditioner is your fave or do you recommend for Betta - im currently using Betta Basics but wondering if a cheaper product not specially designed for Bettas would be sufficient ? :applaud:

for tap water, Prime (I use rainwater ATM).

As an additive to make the water more ideal for bettas, I use indian almond leaf. I do not use salt. I have healthy, unsalted bettas and I don't understand the obsession everyone has with using salt. When I say I don't use it, people react like I said I sacrifice baby animals as an offering to Ra or something! But use it if it makes you feel better :D

But I thought the salt provide an unsuitable environment for bad bacteria and fungi growth in water.

and no lisa, I would never think you would sacrifice baby animals, you're way to nice for that (unless you have dark side that is.)

i agree with u shannonbjs im using betta basic at the moment whilst its great buffers ph has trace elements for betta and plants but you need alot of it for a small amount of water

some thing such as prime is much more consentrated were 5 of betta basic treats only 1.25 lt of water, 5 ml of prime treats some thing like 38 lt

you might need to adjust your ph tho.

There are a few people here who sell them on the forums... I'm not sure who anymore...

But Lisa could tell you.

Just post an ad on the Classified forum wanting to buy IAL or "betta" still.. Use the search function for indian almond leaf. :D

*giggles to self*

I got bored and decided to do some calculations with water conditioners:

For the prime 50 ml I buy it for $12.50 at the LFS. Due to it's high concentration, it comes to around $0.00625 per litre of water it conditions

For the cheaper VitaPet brand, you can buy it at local supermarket etc for around $5 for 125 ml. But due to you have to use a lot per litre of water changed. It comes to $0.01 per litre it conditions.

The results is that prime is not only effective but also the cheaper of the two, which came at a surprise to me. Keep in mind that prime can go bigger bottle for even lesser of the money.

Hope this helps

Last 500ml bottle of Prime I bought from an online shop (no LFS stocks it here) cost me $22 + about $6 postage (was bought with other items so don't know exact postage price).... works out to about $0.0014 per litre <_<

Catch is unless you measure it accurately you end up wasting it or overdosing it if you are using it for small quantities of water.... 5ml of Prime treats 200litres of water.... 1ml treats 40 litres.... I use a small syringe with a drawing up tube (non-pointy needle) to be a bit more accurate rather than use the threads in the cap method....

SAFE from Seachem is the same as Prime but in powdered form and even more concentrated - ok if you're making up a big batch or filling a new tank but too concentrated to use with bettas in jars....

Aquarium Science has a complete conditioner (yellow lid - about $25 for 500ml) which treats chloramines/ chlorine/ etc and is usually 1 drop per litre - the blue top bottle from Aq Science (about $14 for 500ml) only treats chlorine and is a bit cheaper... both are quite inexpensive really and with added IAL is quite ok for bettas too....

Whatever artificial conditioner you use - I would always use IAL or Banana leaf with it for those extra properties Lisa mentioned above.... Salt is only really necessary if you're getting your fish crumbed :D

I've seen that AquaStar on AOA before but never knew anyone who'd used it.... seems pretty concentrated 5ml/350litres.... The good thing about it - seems it also binds heavy metals.

Has anyone tried that Easy Life product? Says its all natural and seems to be a miracle product if you read the description that goes with it....

To treat tap water......I use a product someone Lee sells...it contains tea tree oil

I add rainwater and IAL or it's extract and a drop of Aquasonic Pro-Bac each water change......works for me

I've found a marked reduction in disease with my soft water fish since I adopted this system

Soft water has a better chance of being acid....particularly with addition of IAL

In acid water ammonia becomes ammonium....which is much less toxic

Easy Life magic product I believe is similar to Geoliquid......bentonite clay in suspension

It is supposed to do lots of marvelous things....and perhaps it does....it is used as animal feed and for human consumption in Health food industry

I like the theory......I dose all tanks every couple of months with a piece of clay....they go milky for a week then clear up

Edited by Rod

I don't understand the obsession everyone has with using salt. When I say I don't use it, people react like I said I sacrifice baby animals as an offering to Ra or something!

I don't see why the Sun God Ra would have any interest in baby animals, Nephthys might have more of an interest in the fish though, being the God of Water, Immortality, Justice, Weather, Wild Birds, Moon and Night, The Underworld.

Sekhmet might be more interested in the baby animals....

I use Science Products brand, Chlorine Nuertralizer extra strength water ager. 5ml treats 50L and I paid $6.95 for 150ml

I do not know what to think of Easy-Life. It does claim a lot of functions, despite advertising that it is safe for children to drink undiluted, and that "it does not contain any chemicals". I could not find any information about the specific ingredients in it. But I also could not find an ingredients list for Aqua Star. Does anyone know where this info can be found?

Goggle Bentonite clay or calcium montmorillonite clay.....see what claims are made about it's abilities and uses.....note it has been used by Koi keepers in Japan for centuries

See if you think it might just be the magic non organic,non chemical non bacterial ingredient!

• 2 months later...

I use API Brand Stress Coat which i have used for all my aquariums including my bettas and i am very happy with the results, you can ge 473ml online for like 20$ and you use 5ml/38L and double the the dose to help repair damaged tissue- it has Aloe Vera extract in it.

And as Lisa said i was after some a month or so back and did end up buying a bunch from Block2 as well - it's pretty cheap too you get 30 medium sized leaves for $8.50 and that's including postage! If you would like im happy to post you one to try if you like :wacko: