I'm so excited!

Anasfire

Try zapping zucchini and cucumber in the microwave for a minute in a ceramic bowl with a touch of water. Cooking it a little makes it sink and the bns make short work of it.

My boy bn LOVES those spectrum mini pellets and every time I get out the container to feed the neons he is in the tank with he comes out and scours the floor looking for ones that sink to the bottom.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually dreamt about baby bns last night and finding them in my tank.

Sadly when I woke up the male is still more interested in eating and sitting right at the front of the tank every time I pass by waiting for food rtaher than breeding! Dodgy fish!!

:betta:

• 3 months later...

I've had another batch of babies (or a few more but this lot is the first to survive in higher numbers) so I thought I'd post some pics.

So far I've counted up to 6 out and about at one time. I'm waiting on the pair to spawn again, they're about due to but I don't think they will. The temp is at around 26C at the moment, and that's a little too high for this pair to spawn but I have new guppy's in the tank and don't want to turn it down and have them die on me.

Here's a photo of a baby bn - they camouflage nicely on my substrate but look carefully!

DSCF2859.jpg

And one of my male Peppermint, just for fun. He loves the cave, pity I have no female for him. Might pick him up some mates at the next QFAS auction. Pepps were going pretty cheap, I think a bag of 2 went for $15.....

DSCF2856.jpg

Edited by Fighters4U

really? how much were they going for near the end? I might get some this week from the breeder I know down in Tweed, the one I got them from last time. I got 4 for $10 ea...I think he's selling them for $8 ea nowadays. I'll have a BN, Peppermint, Shrimp and Guppy tank soon enough :D

Tank, singular lol. I only have the one big tank. The other 2ft's have fry in them. Well one does..the other is keeping some duckweed for a friend at present, and hopefully a few baby CRS that stowed away in the weed.

I was surprised that my 3.4ft tank, with all the Bn's, guppies and crs, didn't look too bad when I put the fluoro back over it. I was expecting it to look really dirty and algae ridden etc but it looks good actually.

I never really do much with it except top up the water, clean out the filter and give it a gravel vac now and again. It never gets weekly maintenance and it's doing well. It's even managing to grow my Amazon Swords. Must be because I leave the gravel so dirty, there's plenty of waste for the plants to suck up. I've never managed to get any plants to grow, let alone survive, before and I've had these 2 Amazon swords almost 2 years!

Breeding size female peppermints go for $100 - $150 each depending if they are proven breeders and their size. Pairs go for about $220+ Trios $300+ Males of breeding size can go for as little as $60 - $100.

That's Qld prices but other states are different sometimes.... trouble is they take about 1½ - 2 yrs to breeding size hence the higher prices for breeders compared to $8 - $10 for 3cm fry...

Longfin Albino breeding pairs and Longfin Calico breeding pairs are a similar price to the peppermint breeding pairs.

There is a guy in Qld somewhere who is working on developing longfin peppermints (won't be able to afford any of those when they are ready!)

Your tanks should be pretty clean with all those baby bn's around Cassi... pity they don't do windows as well hey?!?!

The real shame is that they don't eat hair algae!! But hopefully I'll get the CRS to breed well in there and they'll have a nice snack on it! I'm so over pulling it out of the filter every week! I remember when I only needed to clean the filter out once a month, not weekly coz the hair algae is clogging up the vents!

Maybe you could take the hair algae, add some crushed up peas, spinach, a few prawns - blend it all up with a bit of gelatine (sp?) and make your own frozen shrimp and bn food! (depending on how much of the algae you have to start that is)...

Hey, that's not a half bad idea.... I have probably about a cup of the algae, if I pull it off from around the plants etc it really is a plague in that tank!

I've got all the stuff to make that now, except the prawns but 3 or 4 prawns wouldn't cost so much.

Just need little ice block trays!

Ice cube trays would be fine or just put it in a ziplock bag and squash it out really thin so you can break bits off after it has solidified. Half a cup should do a good amount and the prawns are only for a bit of protein in the mix - maybe even just one or two raw prawns (don't put in cooked) or if you don't want to buy a prawn use some raw fish.

PS: I still have grindals on my mirror!

Yeah, I'm trying to search ebay and the net for small icecube trays but it doesn't seem anyone sells them. I seem to remember my mum has one that made little round balls when u put the 2 sides together and filled it up, but would male little semi circles that'd be the perfect size if you left them apart. Shame she's not speaking to me at the moment or I could ask her if she still had them or where she got them from. Thinking about it, it seems to me that it was a Tupperware jobbie....

Re Grindals : SOOO glad you have them now :D I told you they had to be in there if the food was disappearing!

I know the icecube trays you mean - mum had some years ago - the smaller size would be perfect just the half rounds - not sure what else you could use though apart from freezing in a thin sheet and then cutting up with a knife perhaps or just cutting off the size you want from the main block....

Now I've got to find out if mum's still got that old ice cube tray - if it's tupperware she's got a heap of it somewhere....