I'm so excited!

Anasfire

Yeah well they're polishing off the green part of the zuccini at the moment, squabbling over it more like. Who or whatever ate the white inner part of the zuccini left the green ring so they're enjoying it now. I'll have to go check them out later and see if they're eating the lettuce yet.

Will have to take some new photo's soon, the betta fry they're in with are getting their dragon scaling too so it's all so exciting!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

common bn and peppermint bn are different species - not impossible for them to breed but unlikely Cassi...

Get him a girlfriend and make some $ from all the babies!!!

Mystery snails are greedy things lyarlla - they will hog fish food or anything they like the taste of - thankfully I just unloaded 100 of them on a LFS so don't have as many to deal with now...

common bn and peppermint bn are different species - not impossible for them to breed but unlikely Cassi...

apparently there are longfin pepps in private collections that are a cross between common longfins and peps. . .

so it could be possible, though the people making these claims haven't actually shown any pics so who knows :bighug:

Yeah read about those MJay - would be very interesting to see LF peps and especially if they have retained the peppermint glow that peps have over their spots and white fin edges.

Lyarlla - got 25c per snail credit - will be enough to get another kg of green flake for the fish when I need it next time!

Ok I removed him in his cave and put him into the betta grow out tank on Thursday (the 10th) which is a good thing becauce the fry hatched yesterday (Friday 11th). There looks to be about 20-25 of them this time and the male is working hard to keep them in the cave, as well as some of his first lot of babies that are growing out in there.

It's quite amusing to see him sheparding the other fry into the cave when all they want to do it scrounge around for food. I know I had 12 from the first batch so when they're out of the cave I'll be able to count the 2nd lot.

Might try for some photo's later

Dracon,

bn's can be around the 6-7cm size before breeding - usually around 6-12mths old - depends on the fish/pair to a degree but I haven't seen any smaller than that breed before. Peppermints (diff species) need to be around 18mths - 2yrs old to breed.

Really good, the new batch has used up their yolk sac now and have darkened up nicely.

There's HEAPS of them!

Still trying to get photo's. It's hard to point a torch and take a photo with a camera that weighs about a kilogram at the same time. My son hasn't been in the best mood to help me lately

yep and you'll have a bunch of them soon! Aren't you excited!

Male is allowing the new ones out of the cave, or at least I've seen a few that have escaped him!

I can't work out how to stop the betta fry from eating the BN's food! The little piggies eat the algae pellets, zuccini and lettuce!

I've been over feeding them a little with grindals and blood worm in the hopes that the baby bn's will find some of the excess food and eat it.

These little guys make quick work of a corpse! Last night I saw them munching on a betta corpse and an older BN corpse. A few of my idiotic bettas have been eating way too much and popping themselves. I've been adding extra food in the hopes that they Bn's will eat it but the bettas are being pigs and paying the price. I've added a heap of lettuce for the bn's so hopefully they'll have a chance to eat it now.