Green Cories

Phil

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what these cories are?

They were only $2 each so i got 10 :fish:

They are really cute, about 3cm and also come in longfin, there was one longfin in the shortfin tank so i got him cheaper, saved a $1 lol.

It would be great if anyone knows what they are :huh:

Posted Image

The standard "albino cories" are usually corydoras aeneus, so that'd explain why they just look bronze when they bred back :huh:

i think these guys are corydoras aeneus as the young'uns are usually more vibrant than the adults, but yeah, they are very shimmery, possibly bred for maximum 'greenness'?

interesting... When I heard green cory I assumed it was Brochis splendens the "Emerald catfish". The head shape is wrong though and they green would cover a larger area. They look like bronze cories C. aeneus and the coloured patch is the right size n shape. There are a number of C. aeneus color forms ranging from orange to green but are usually pricey. Try to get a good clear side-on shot of one of them. The head shape is a large indicator of species. Whatever they are they a certainly a bargain. Dean

The snout looks a bit stubby to be a Brochis splendens, but they are certainly a similar green! Maybe its like when you add a krib and a snakeshin guppy and get a dwarf cockatoo... maybe this is when you add a bronze cory and a green betta and you end up with a very green shiney cory? OK, don't mind me...

The snout looks a bit stubby to be a Brochis splendens, but they are certainly a similar green!

Maybe its like when you add a krib and a snakeshin guppy and get a dwarf cockatoo... maybe this is when you add a bronze cory and a green betta and you end up with a very green shiney cory?

OK, don't mind me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There there calla ;) just next time u decide to drink before posting on the forum make sure i'm there so we can share! ;)

Check out this link, its only a catalogue but its got thumbnails of cories and their name underneath

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/g_1.php

I've always found bronze and peppered corys to be the affordable varieties, I really like the peppered cory I've been tempted to buy some on numerous occasions. Body shape looks like a bronze cory but your right the colour is strange, maybe it's a new colour variety. Where'd you get them from? and are there any more left? ;) .

oooo.. cories.. Phil, these aren't true greens (so i've come late to the party). From what I've seen of the green corys the patch of green on these bodies extend righ over the whole fish. and LAMBO! what do you mean you only see bronze ones in Melbourne?? I just got a whole lot of Corydoras melanistus longirostris www.akwafoto.pl/.../ rychnov2002/kiryski1.php) a couple of weeks ago. Sterbai, hastatus, julii, similis as well as the albino and pepper are quite common these days. Most aquariums have available to them about 40 different species, you just got to let them know which ones you want ;)

Hi Peoples,

Well what you have there looks like a locality of Corydoras aeneus aka Bronz cory. This species is one that is found in a many different localities hence depending on the collection location of the fish (or their ancestors) they are very different looking.

There are some on the wholesalers list that are sold as:

Corydoras aeneus “Neon Green Stripe”

Corydoras aeneus “Red Stripe”

Corydoras aeneus “Orange Stripe”

etc. that all come from different localities. The above; if you find them, are not cheap.

Phil, it is a great buy @$2. I would suggest not mixing any other bronz corys with them, so that you keep the population pure.

The so called emerald catfish Brochis splendens and other Brochis species are very easy to tell apart from Corydoras species. At a glance:

-they are shorter, head to tail

-deeper, dorsal to anal

-their dorsal fin has more rays than Corydoras species

I loooooovee cories

Yagoona hey :lol: , hmmmm might pay them a visit if I get the chance. They get in some good plakats sometimes. Beverly Hills Strictly Aquariums had some gorgeous DTPK but I didn't have any room :P , I should have bought them anyway. Always good prices at Strictly Aquariums but getting a good fish is luck of the draw, you must have been very lucky Phil :P .

Phil they had heaps of 'green longfin corys' but they were in a different tank and slightly more expensive. Someone must have chucked one in with the shortfin ones. You must have taken all the really green ones because the ones they had left looked like normal bronze corys with a very slight green sheen on them, they are really tiny.

No I bought 2 c.sterbai instead.

Told you I liked spotty ones :) . I almost bought some 'green corys'.

Let me see if I can remember:

2 x green corys = $4 or 2.50 each approx 3-4cm

2 x long finned green corys = $5-6 of thereabouts approx 4cm

2 x small panda corys = $14 (but there was a health issue in the tank) approx 2 -3cm

2 x large panda corys = $18 approx 5cm

2 x c. sterbai = $25 5cm

They also had albinos, peppered, XL peppered and normal bronze but I can't remember the price.

This is one of the two, playful pair, but very shy as all spotty cories are. Although it has a subtle greeny irridencence :D .

Posted Image

And another thing...

What the big idea? You took all the good guppys. All the yellow/gold ones left were crappy, there was only one really nice orange snakeskin and about 100 OK-but-not-super-dooper ones....but I don't like orange :betta: .

:D

But you missed the black khulis :P .

Archived