Cleaning Glass Diffusors

Ghengis

Probably a question that's been asked as many times as there are glass diffusors on the market, but once more

won't hurt... I've done a bit of looking around and it seems the most common method is to soak in Bleach, then

clean water. I have issues with that idea, most obviously the potential for tank water contamination, if the diffusor

is not properly rinsed. I mean, how does one know if it's completely devoid of bleach??

Anyway, what are your experiences/thoughts/ideas?

Use lots of dechlorinator to get rid of the bleach. Should be ok. But I say that having not ever owned a diffusor or ever tried cleaning one. Indeed I've never used bleach to clean anything. So why the hell am I answering this question? Oh yeah.... I remember now.... THERE'S NOTHING WORSE THAN A LURKER. Yeah I'm talking to the five people who looked at this thread and didn't say a word. You know who you are! :lol:

soak it with bleach for 30min and rub it abit will do :lol: that's how I clean my lily pipe too, shouldn't have much problem if you wash them well. little it of bleach in the tank isn't a big deal to the fish and plant as bleach is Volatility..

Because I have been spooked by Bettarazzi's lurker flush, :lol: , I will say that I think bleach contamination is highly unlikely if you wash the diffusor well. I disinfect my equipment with pool chlorine at some 100-200ppm, no problems so far.

As said, rinse it really well, soak, and then dose with some water ager. Sounds time consuming, but it's not really.

Use lots of dechlorinator to get rid of the bleach. Should be ok. But I say that having not ever owned a diffusor or ever tried cleaning one. Indeed I've never used bleach to clean anything. So why the hell am I answering this question? Oh yeah.... I remember now.... THERE'S NOTHING WORSE THAN A LURKER. Yeah I'm talking to the five people who looked at this thread and didn't say a word. You know who you are! :lol:

:lol: Yeah, well...probably wouldn't be cool if I mentioned three of those views could be attributed to myself looking in to make

sure I hadn't made any grammar or spelling errors... :lol:

Maybe I'll go with the bleach, then... Might find some way of blocking the inlet, so no liquid leaks in, just to be on the safe side.

Cheers, all!

I've soaked lava rock in bleach solution and we all know how porous lava rock is. I just made sure I rinsed it well, allowed it to soak in clean water for a few days then dried it thoroughly in the sun for a few days, both pieces are now in the tank and no problems at all, hasn't even stopped algae from developing!

Ok Ok not sure if im one of the 5 lurkers but just to cover my ass ....Ive used bleach heaps to clean evry thing from filters to plastic and silk plants and provided they get a good rinse and a short soak in dechlor. water it shouldnt be a problem ....Ive never had any problems anyway...

not everyone has an answer. some read to gain knowledge. there is so much mis-information on forums I'd rather if people don't have personal experience on a subject they say nothing, rather than regurgitating something they have read elsewhere.

cheers, J

Thanks for the support someone..........I'll admit to being a "lurker".

I read most of the posts on this forum and on others, but if I don't feel that I have the knowledge, experience or a reasonably well thought out comment to contribute then I keep my fingeres zipped because there's nothing worse than a post that goes on for ever that tells you nothing informative and takes up space that could be better utilised with a really knowledgeable comment.

I guess I'm just from the old school of "do it once & do it right"-"look and learn before you open your mouth and spout poor information"

Cheers Jane

im going to have to go with mythic on this one i like to read and learn but leave the teaching to thoes that know more i contribute what i can but rather not dish out a heap of stuff that could be compleatly wrong

I wasn't suggesting people give out wrong information. And I wasn't really suggesting that everybody has to answer every thread they read. Most of my comment was made in jest. But since this thread has been well and truly hijacked now I might as well continue. It's interesting that the people that responded were those that make posts regularly enough not to be considered lurkers. Responses don't just have to be expert answers that are complete and irrefutably correct. Responses can also be to ask further questions, get clarification, and just generally discuss. I was just trying to encourage a little more activity. This forum has been running for long enough now that pretty much everything about breeding and caring for bettas has been asked and answered. So I suppose there's no need for any new betta questions. Just search the forum. And if it's planted tank info you need there are far more experts elsewhere. But I'll go with the majority. Lurk to your hearts content everyone.

I can see where your coming from Bazzi...this has to be the best fish forum on the web and has so many friendly and helpful people , it would be shame to see it go down hill and become like a lot if the others that dont have posts for weeks at a time.

I am guilty of having a lurk and wont touch a subject if Im not able to answer but even just an add on question or a comment will contribute to the ongoing success of this forum.

And I too have been a bit slack lately with the posts so Im giving myself a kick up the bum too.

HEEEELLLLOOOO!!!!????

GLASS DIFFUSOR'S??? ANYONE???

Bloody thread hijackain' bleedin' bloody, Philistine's!

What the hey, since we're going way off topic, what does everyone reckon of Essendon's performance in the past few weeks?

I've been stoked to see some of the younger blokes, Kyle Reimers and Angus Monfries in particular, standing up and shownig

some form. Looks like Lloydys finally found some form also and McViegh, McPhee and Lucas have all been huge for us. Pretty

nervous about the Brisbane game this week, but I reckon, going on recent efforts, the boys oughtta get up and smash the

Brions, no worries.

God, I love my football club! C'arn the Bombers!!

Cool. Reckon I might give it a go on the w/end... I bought three of the things, so I can have spares to rotate, if needs, or if one breaks.

Wanted to clear something up. That "outburst" post before was meant to be facetious and sarcastic. Sorry if anyone thought I was getting

upset. I really have no prob with Threads going off topic, least of all my own. I appreciate all your input. Cheers.

Archived