"Angry stick"

Beano

I read something once about an angry stick for bettas, which a breeder used to keep their betta "angry" and flaring. It was just a black stick. Now I sometimes hold up the end of a black pen to the tank and some of the boys just go nuts!!! Others don't care that much.

I also frequently hold up my finger, but they don't go nuts over that. My marble monster plakat boy is the best at it. He stares at my finger when it's in the tank, he even lets me touch his head, but the pen he goes nuts over.

Do bettas hate the colour black? If so, are Melano bettas more aggressive toward each other?

OH MY GAWD!!! I can't believe that works. I got a black pen and just put it in front of my boys and they flare straight away!! Well, they flared to varying degrees. Some immediately raise their gill flaps, some did the whole waggle display. Amazing. A couple of them seemed scared of it. They looked at it warily then if I moved it they swam away in fright. This is going to be so useful for taking photos. And when you visit a shop you can just carry a black pen with you to make the fish flare. Although I sometimes take a mirror with me. And also if you're setting up a barracks system. You can leave the males carded permanently and use the angry stick for exercise instead of uncarding. I wonder if it's because the wild betta has a dark/black head and even though they'll flare at white bettas, they're programmed to view something black and pointy as another male. Maybe that's why white bettas are less aggressive? I think this is really cool.

• 1 month later...

I tried it, not with a pen but a dark grey texter (cheapo one)

One of my males flared and looked all big and tough,

My new one looked at it.. swam backwards a bit.. swam foreward again... stared at it and then flared his little gills off beofre taking off :dontknow:.. so cute

Archived