Shrimp!

Phil

Phil

Did you buy them or catch them from a local river or stream? There are several freshwater shrimp species in Sth Eastern Australia. Great for catching Callop (Yellow Belly or Golden Perch depending on where you come from). Reference below from CSIRO

Paratya australiensis Kemp, 1917 (Decapoda: Atyidae)

Keith

Not atyidae shrimp, not with those nippers.

Those are young macro shrimp. Unsure on species, possibly Macrobrachium australiense? If they are the same ones that I had a few years back, good luck! I had SO much trouble keeping them. I tried in cold water, I tried in tropical, I tried in buckets with cauldron aeration and I tried in betta type tanks. They ended up with some sort of problem that killed their flesh, so they'd wander around for a few days with cooked-looking nippers before keeling over. It happened to two separate batches, I still have no idea what I was doing wrong or what the problem was. :D

Macro shrimp - I think the same species as above?

Atyidae shrimp - I think Paratya australiensis

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they seem to be doing well still, amazing just how much they can eat!!

Im mainly feeding them brine shrimp (since they are next to my marine tank and algae wafters, funny how they swim around with them)

Neway, i just found these guys randomly mixed in with some feeder gudgeons at work, so spent a lil while netting them all out. I got them for free so it doesnt matter which sort they are, but they are in their own tank so only pose a danger to eachother :(

I want to eventually get some nice shrimp, like CRS so figured i would see how these ones go before spending out the big $$$$

• 2 weeks later...

Archived