Giant Bettas

Puggle

I'm interested in breeding giant bettas once the fishroom is complete. I would love to get HM giants but there don't seem to be many around. They're all plakats, and even though plakats are nice, I would prefer long-finned fish. I'm curious why people aren't breeding them - are there health problems or something?

I've been doing a lot of reading about giant bettas and a lot of sites mention fish that are 7 inches long. They don't say if that's the standard body length (nose to start of tail) or the whole length (body + tail). How big do they grow?

Ronnie!! You're back!!!!! Welcome back! How's Toowoomba?

Sorry :giggle:

I am not an aficionado on giants. Stubbskm and Nick did good HM/PK 1/2 giant spawns last season, so there's HM giant stock about. Pretty sure Celeste has done likewise, possibly with CTs. And I think waterchange@mybettas was selling giants recently, maybe have a look in classifieds.

Good luck :lol:

L

Toowoomba's ok, if you like multicoloured VTs ;)

I miss my old pet shops, but I'm planning a roadtrip to Brissy to get new fish. Just got to set up some tanks first, and need to know how big the fish are going to get before I buy new tanks. I can't imagine bettas getting a body length of 7 inches (although that would be kinda cool) but I'd feel much better if someone could confirm that for me.

I've always wanted a proper fish room. My old set-up was always things added "just for now". Fish went in whatever I had just until I could get a bigger tank, or just until I rearranged other tanks, or just until babies grew out of their tank, or.... It was a collection of temporary tanks that grew out of control. Now I have the perfect chance to set it up exactly how I want it right from the start, without having to worry about other housemates, with enough room to go crazy, and I've only got 2 fish now so I don't have to worry about moving fish around while I get things set up.

And I've got no idea where to start! :P

There are some lovely HM giants around - but they will rent a hole in your wallet!! I have HM plakats (traditional) for $70 each. Have not had any requests for other tail types, so have not bothered to ask.

Have a surf around aquabid and see who is breeding HM giants. I know RAM_91 has some stunners - saw them on our last trip to Thailand.

Cheers, J

Halfmoon Giants on AquaBid

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1187877178

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1188463973

Plakat Giants on AquaBid

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1188004200

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1187949001

There were just too many to link all of them here. And just a little reminder...

DON'T CRITIQUE THE AUCTION FISH

:lol:

I've been doing a lot of reading about giant bettas and a lot of sites mention fish that are 7 inches long. They don't say if that's the standard body length (nose to start of tail) or the whole length (body + tail). How big do they grow?

Well the biggest one i ever had was 12cm. Thats from head to the end of the tail. he was just a pk.

This is him next to a adult ct.

ctandgiant.jpg

ctandgaint.jpg

Wow Michael that's a big betta. Infact it wouldn't even be able to live in my barracks :lol:

For me they are a curiousity but it'll be years before I'm up to tackling them. I'm guessing though that spawnings have to be carefully planned to avoid/iron out visual flaws that come up?

Nice picture comparison btw :lol:

yeaaa that thought just strike me... When i was looking at plakat fighters i was like... " hmmmm.. i reckon these plakats fighters would get own if the opponent is a giant..."

I'm not at all sure on the histories of these giants... so i just made a random assumptions and thoughts :( . Though it would be very interesting to have these giants in a 20 - 40 Liters tank. Unlike the other bettas, they looked too small in those big sized tank. Kinda like owning a piranha xD

• 2 weeks later...

The barracks will be divided into 5 at the front with a section at the back for heater and filter. There will be a 4mm gap under the back divider and probably pipes to trickle water into the front sections. Is that OK? :(

I wanted to get perspex with little holes in it but the guy only works with glass. I don't like the thought of bettas and gaps!

What sort of giant PKs are they? *fingers crossed for blue show PK*

Archived