Hey =]

Bugsy

Hey there everyone =]

I'm Emma and I'm a bit of a fish newbie to be honest, I've always had a keen interest in fish and last week my mum finally gave in and allowed me to get some providing I've done my research :)

I've yet to get the fish (planning to go to the store tomorrow) the Tank is set up and ready, everthing is in good working order so now all I need is the fish :)

I'm unsure as of yet, which type to get, obviously I want something easy as I'm a begginer. The Tank I have is 16.5 Litres (40cm long x 20cm wide) so I'm going to ask the exceedingly knowlegeable and friendly people at the store to see what they recommend, I'm sure they'll have something ideal for me =]

A friend directed me to this forums, and any advice etc. is always apprechiated :)

Sounds great Emma :) Welcome to the boards!

It might be useful to go to the pet shop tomorrow on a bit of an information gathering expedition, as quite often everyone will have different ideas on what you should do with your tank, and sometimes the shops won't stock everything you'd want :) It is a nice sized tank, you should be able to set up a lovely little aquarium in there :)

Remember to start slow for the first month :) Don't fully stock on the first day :)

Hey Callatya

Thanks, The tank is a nice size, perfect for my desk, looks rather neat even without the fish! Yep I know about not stocking everything at once (wow my research has taught me something!) I'm sure they'll have something suitable, they've got a whole room dedicated to them and then numerous amounts of other tanks. I did have my heart set on a Betta but they need heated water and being a begginer I don't want to risk not getting the temperature right and killing it off :) plus I think the filter I have may be too strong for them/it. So yes, I'm going to see what they say at the store =]

Welcome Emma! Bettas can be quite hardy. Although if you trawl through this forum you might not think so. But they really are a good beginners fish. If you've got good water quality and heating you should do ok. Heaters are pretty reliable. Get one that is fully adjustable and fully submersible. I aim for my tanks to be around 25*C to 26*C. Maybe a little higher when I'm trying to get them to spawn. Don't let the heating requirement put you off. When you go to the fish shop you'll find the prettiest fish are the tropicals. Can you adjust the water flow of your filter? The other way to slow the water movement down in the tank is to have a lot of plants. Floating ones especially will keep a betta happy because they like to stay close to the surface.

Bettas are awesome!!! I say get one, they really are quite easy to care for.

As someone else said heaters are really reliable these days especially if you pay for a good one (rather than the el cheapo ones)

Bettas will be happy anywhere between say 23 and 30 degrees so there's a bit of a range for you to get it right :)

They don't really need a filter if you water change often enough and they have such personalities you'll be addicted like us in no time lol!

If the filter you have now is too strong you may just need to get one of those flow control valves, that can adjust the flow and make it slow enough for a Betta :)

WELCOME!

~Stacey

Hi Emma

Once you set the heater to the right temp it should self-regualte (the occasional heater malfunctions you hear of have nothing to do with the experience of the hobbyist). Main thing is set it and leave it no less than 24 hours at the right temp before you add fish, to make sure the thermostat's working.

coldwater fish tend to be messier and require more maintenance, and more tank space, IMO. and they eat plants.

haha! I thought everybody would try and sway me towards a Betta, I'm still not sure though, although the fact that they're cleaner than coldwater is appealing :cheer:

I've just done some research on the filter I have and its a Rena Filstar i1 (300 L/h) does that mean anything to any of you O.o I think it's the weakest one for the smallest tanks but still not sure if a Betta would stand it :photo: I don't think my mum's too keen on the idea of buying a heater although I wouldn't need a huge one as my Tank is only 17 L so perhaps I would be able to get one?

anyway! we're off to the petstore in an hour or so, I'll be sure to inform you of what I end up with! :dance:

Yikes! that is some filtration you have there! Recommended turnover for a fully stocked tank is something like 7-9x per hour (meaning the entire water content of the tank goes through the filter that many times in the hour) but that is just over 18. Have you turned it on? does it look a bit like a whirlpool?

You are spot on, a betta would have a hard time fighting that flow, and it would easily cope with most messy coldwater fish.

Jump on over to the general forum when you get back, and let us know what you've gotten :photo::dance:

Okie, I'm now home, not going to tell you what I've got untill a little later when everything is settled and I go to the genral boards =]

anyhow I did turn the filter on and it just makes the surface ripple slightly O.o I'm leaving it off for now as the new arrival(s) (ha not giving anything away!) settles, they/it is/are still in the bag getting used to the water =P

Archived