Gold apple snails - do they eat plants?

Tell that to the silver dollars! They ate it down to the stem - it's taken a year to grow back, but then it has gotten more leaves on it since. They don't seem to like java fern, maybe I should toss some of that in with the snail...

they eat plants like they're going out of fashion, i should know T_T

HOWEVER they are very selective about what plants they eat. their teeth are soft, so they can only eat decaying or soft plants. i've found they leave my anubia alone UNLESS there's a dying leaf (or part thereof) which they clean up, but otherwise leave the rest of the plant alone :lol:

i've found elodea is OK, so is riccia and some of the twirly leafed things, but the soft grass type ones i got and all the other soft ferny type plants were eaten in no time, so were the banana lillies unfortunatly! i came back from my month holiday only to find my newly planted tank had been stripped almost completely bare after only a day or two since i left T_T now i make sure to get "hard" plants only and it's been all good.

BTW, one snail won't clean out a 3ft tank so fast, i had several hundred snails at that point.

• 2 months later...
Guest merry78

If you put a slice of cucumber or zucchini in they will go for that by preference and leave your plants alone. You will have to weight the slice or pin it down, i pin mine to the gravel with a plant anchor shaped into a hook and shoved into the gravel. My apple snail demolishes a 1cm thick slice in two days! Your fish will also usually pick at it, and it's quite good for them, works a bit like shelled peas (good for digestion etc.) :lol:

I strap mine to rocks with elastic bands :lol:

I've only ever had the one snail, and although he did like that, if he was up the top of the tank he'd choose to eat the floating plants instead of climbing down :lol: I think he was a bit of a lazy boy!

It's worth going to the applesnail website, and verifying exactly which apple/mystery snail you have... there is one variety the definitely only eats dying/rotting plant matter, even though we may not realise it's decaying at the time, and another variety that eats live plants, and can decimate a tank...

If you get the right one, they're a perfect tank partner - stopping anything from rotting (including any fish corpses or leftover food), keeping the glass and leaves clean, not fertilising their own eggs (unable to change sex, whereas many common snails do), AND generating infusoria for any fry...

The shape of the shell is a giveaway, once you know which is which... one has a decidedly flat side to it's shell, where the whorl is... that's the one to get...

the apple snails I've had have never eaten any of my live plants, only the decaying stuff and algae on the tank sides.

I just wish I had a few more, as a month or so back, I had all my snails die off on me (sum were a yr or more old :( ) but luckily there are now sum baby apple snails moving around inside the tank :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived