Dead Plant Eating Fish

Robbies Betta

Hi Guys

just wondering, is there a fish that eats decaying plant leaves? I had to clean out my commy tank today, and was suprised at all the half rotting leaves and such, so was wondering if there's anything that'll eat them? I have an angel fish, 3 Black Widow tetras, a lonely penguin tetra, a cple of female bettas, and an Asian Bumble Catfish. I want to get rid of the Cat fish and angel (got a "pair" from a friend, and they ended up beeing 2 males, so they're both in seperate tanks now). The tank is a standard 3ft with a temp of 26*C. Would cories be ok? I have two in a 2ft, so I could buy sum more if needed.

any ideas?

Um... bloodworms eat leaves... they'll chew your ketapang leave to oblivion. Ketapang-fed bloodworms might actually be good for bettas, packed full of anti-disease goodness etc... what do you think?

But they make cocoons with the detrius, so then you have a snail-poop-type situation, except the cocoons stick to surfaces. And fish eat bloodworms :cheer:

Try applesnails. They're supposed to eat dying leaves.

my mystry snail eat all my dead plants bar a few leaves, but i guess that what happens when you have about 30 to 40 in a 4 foot set up. bit of an over kill but i'm waiting til there a bit bigger so i can sell them.

think on that note all my tanks have heaps of snails, looking at my angel tank next to me here i think it has 20-30 in it aswell.

brenton

That's the thing, I HAVE about 3 smallish apple snails in there, and they ain't doing their job :)

I might give mollies a try, as I like the look of them :)

Cheers guys, and keep the suggestions coming :)

You could always pop the snail infestation living in the java moss I gave you ages ago :)

Archived