Bristlenose colouration

Callatya

I have never kept BN. I always thought they were really very ugly.

Recently, i purchased 2 babies from a net contact, and i could not be happier! they are GORGEOUS!

Thing is though, do they stay that way? do they eventually lose their white markings and blotches as they age?

Posted Image

BN's are Ancistrus "species" I always thought they stayed pretty much the same..just grew the horns on the nose.. but their colouration depends on the exact type of BN you have. There are so many of them though (50+ from memory) and I find it hard to tell exactly what species they are from pictures (or IRL) unless its really obvious like the peppermint :blink:

Might be OT but my BN's change colour on me :thumbs: They grow massive Ciara, not sure what the full size is, but i have seen them IRL at 30-35cm. There is a large pair at my lfs and I am not enquiring on the price either :thumbs:

Bristlenose are about 10-12cm max according to PlanetCatfish.com Calla if you think the common ones are cute...wait till you keep the albinos and peppermints :thumbs: They stay the same colour and looks the same, but their spots are smaller. They are the gentle giants of the bottom dwellers :thumbs: Have fun with them. Mango :thumbs:

UGLY :thumbs: ??? I think BN are sweet :thumbs: . Mine is a common BN I bought him as a fry (I had two but one failed to thrive for some reason :) ). Dusky on the other hand has doubled in size since the pikky I left of him, his spots have become clearer and he has intensified immensely in colour :thumbs: . They're a bit messy but ever since I put them in the tank the heater slime problem disappeared completely. Mango a LFS near me has L series ones, they are to die for. I could never afford one. There's one that looks like a gold nugget that is quite attractive, I think they call it a 'sunrise' pleco or something like that.

No definately more like the one on the pic I showed. At first I thought it was a gold nugget but then I got told it was a sunshine plec :(( , either way they cost enough, you'd be taking a huge risk buying one they cost hundreds, although if that's what tickles your fancy then by all means go for it :(( .

Archived