Garaging Bettas

jumper

hi there i am just wondering how many have a set up in their garage? Main reason for that is i just refused a good deal on 6 x 2 foot tanks + stand because i think the overall weight might damage the base structure in the house. I am not an engineer but i was thinking 8 x 2 foot tanks + steel frame = > 500Kgs ! on a small area like 1500cm X 400 cm. thats sure did sound like a lot fo weight to me... that set upwas gonna be put in my dining area :) ideas? i have thought about building something on my own, but then there is the cost effect as always cheaper the better! Joe

I know how it feels to refuse a good deal like that... I could've got 2 6x2x2 on one stand for $1000... ^_^ My house would probably collapse under that weight, which is over one tonne (1000kgs) minus gravel and stuff, just considering water, tanks, and stand. I think a garage would fluctuate too much in temperature, as has been suggested. However, it'd depend on the insulation of the garage, and what kind of heating/cooling you have in place in the tanks and in the garage. :lol:

lol sorry so many variables. i will try to give a rough down on the "house" house pretty much stays heater on 24/7 (sister is afraid of melbourne cold nights, even during summer! :lol: garage no insulation just bricks (double garage with 2 cars + bike + tools+ huh? whats that?), the Garage door is more or less like a shop.... it at least opens 20 times per day... backyard temperature varies (throughout the year ) from 8 to whatever hot it gets. Garage i am assuming it would be sorta close to 10 ( i tried working ont he garage (cars/bikes) late at night... and its freezing fer me... Best would really be to set it up inside the house.... but unless that can look neat and even so sister might go bollocks (+ the weight issue) Beats me... if i ran the system in the garage.... i am assuming i would use 2 X 100W on each 2 foot ( 80 litres) and just 1 X 100 W on the 2 foot ( 50 odd litres). Sounds like my power bill is gonna go nuts! ^_^ Joe

you could "box in" a section with freezer panel or a light internal wall lined with styrofoam. Seal all gaps with expanding foam. if you can't do this, at least cover the back, sides and top of each tank with styrofoam sheets. at night you could cover the whole lot with old blankets. (I had fish in a carport and used to cover them with old horse rugs.) HTH J

I have 4 x 2' tanks + approximately 8x 10 - 30 L tanks on a steel stand upstairs, with a 4' tank (approx 230L ) on the opposite wall. What is the floor in your dining area like? I had a barracks in the garage and abandoned it because of the heat loss in winter. water running down 150-odd bottles 24/7 meant that even 3 large heaters in the sunp couldn't compete.

i have got tiled floor, with timber stumps on dirt ( no concrete under). YEs i am worrying about that too (heat loss) . besides the house heater runs pretty much all year through except for 30 + degree days... so wouldnt be a waste at all n would just "assist" much better. i have just bought a shelving from bunnings that can hold 5 shelves @ 350 kg per shelf. although it seems lotsa shelves i can only put 3 aquariums onto and still have room to move abouts and fix some lighting later. i still have another 2 to go. but i am quite sure that my sister would crank out if i put another "ugly mettalic shelving" at the dining area.... <_< what i might be inclined to do is to put the other shelving inthe laundry area (after her dog is totally trained out and out of the laundry room) :giggle: nevertheless... i still have two 80 litres to clean up sometime this week... so i can use a bit of time n "devise" it a bit better i suppose... thanks for the info ! Joe

Cheers, and *ouch* <_<

yes... and that only fits half of them ( if i wanted room tomove my hands n hang someligths.... :giggle:

the only advantage i can see outa it is that didnt take me hrs of thinking on the assembly....

i am probably going to split my system for now... half inside the house n half outside (garage). wont make my life any easier but i guess due to above n beyond factors it will have to do for now.

finally 80% completed....

although in two different areas i hope they will suit me as they are supposed to :D

This is the primary keeping area ( for now at least), breeding guys

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/umt/photos/view_i...p;start_count=0

this is the bredding area

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/umt/photos/view_i...p;start_count=3

This is the grow out area

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/umt/photos/view_i...p;start_count=5

i am going to split the grow out tanks (80 L) into smaller compartments (fixed) for "various" growing sizes from each spawn ( fingers crossed on that) and the breeding 2 footers as well (not fixed divisions though). Bottle collection has already started as well :D. From what i am seeing, everything looks ok... now all i need is them to get onto action :lol:

let me know your thoughts guys n gals! i can handle if things arent right too! :D

Archived