Algae Eating Shrimp

Daniel

Hi Everyone, if you've been following some threads, you may have heard me mention glass shrimp as a means of algae control. As there was interest in the subject i thought i would post up some images and give a bit of info.

Posted Image

sorry about the size of the image and the clarity my digi cam isnt really made for macro, here you can see one of the smaller shrimp, for reference the substrate grain size is about 2-2.5mm.

Posted Image

i am unable to tell them apart, that is male and female, i guess though that the larger ones are female and the smaler ones are male, none of them so far are pregnant.

Posted Image

the shrimp are from about 1-2cm in size and grow to about 2.5cm, the main colony of about 15 are in my nano tank which has four endlers, neither react to each other, ive put one shrimp into a 10 gal with a betta, i havent seen it since i put it in however, and another has been put into my 30gal with rams, tetras, endlers and corys. I saw the one in my 30 gal when i got home munching on algae on one of my swords.

So far they are eating only algae and leftover food, and have made no attempt to damage or hurt any other fish or inverts or plants. They all arrived live sent overnight from Queensland, they are sold by Live Fish umm... the company was really good as well with notification and tracking numbers and arrived before noon.

ill keep this updated if they breed and whether they are compatible with bettas and toher fish. :lol:

I believe they ship everywhere bar Tasmania overnight.

i dont think my betta has got the other one, he/she is porbably hiding in the wisteria, the tank isn't the easiest to see into either, they've basically clean most the algae off at ground level, and are starting to move up the tank sides, some have got into the cambomba, whose leaves are all stuck together, with algae. :lol:

i was trying to get some macro shots but i'm either too close or too far away :lol: heres a pic anyways trying to show their insides

Posted Image

apparently you can use them as live feeders as well....

be careful when looking for these guys, a lot of places sell macrobrachium shrimp at this size and its easy to get caught out.

More piccies :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And for comparison, here is a link to a machro prawn (older and starting to get bigger). Note the dark stripes and the long nippers, these are generally visible when they are younger.

Macro Prawn

I just noticed one of mine is pregnant (right term for shrimp?) with lots of eggs :betta: the betta tank shrimp was found, dried up and crispy, i mistook it for a freeze dried black worm :betta: on the tank stand, since then ive added about 5 more and ive seen them on and off.

EDIT: Piccy

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

They're all DEAD!!!!!, i acclimitised them to a new tank, then put on a new batch of DIY CO2, too much yeast, (caused a swing in ph :thumbs: ) too bad too, because they had actually produced shrimplets, i'll probably order some more later down the track.... BTW bettas love them to absolute death, especially via means of decapitation :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

It's true that freshwater shrimp are found all around australia, if you look on the ANGFA website http://www.angfa.org.au/intro.html and go into their database you can find species that are local to your area, Dave at Aquagreen www.aquagreen.com.au also sells native shrimp at the moment. I would too go down to my local river (Georges River) but it was pretty polluted for a while, so id rather buy mine from a cleaner source.

But if you do catch some post some pictures please!!!

I think i might buy some more, my algae is coming back.... :)

These are tiny bluebetta, how big are the ones you catch? I'm just thinking that threading most of these on a hook would be tricky, maybe you are getting young macros? Could be the same though, I used to catch them in farm dams and in the Nepean River. Pictures required! ^_^

Archived