My Male Vt Betta

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

No idea what went wrong, just this afternoon he got some fungus looking thing around his mouth. I tried treating it but it did not work. I have my suspition it was my new fish i recently put into the tank. Mabey they introduced a disease or something. :(:( No plans to give up... going to get a new one soon

You will need to treat him for days to notice an improvement. Change water daily and add some salt and some Myxazin to the water. If he dies, you will need to make sure the tank is cleaned properly.

You will need to treat him for days to notice an improvement. Change water daily and add some salt and some Myxazin to the water.

If he dies, you will need to make sure the tank is cleaned properly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He already died Faewyn, There are other inhabitants in the tank too. What would be the best way to clean it properly then? :(

oops Jess! I am the one who doesn't read posts properly, not you! Quarantining new fish before adding them to your tank is something I highly recommend, in future, as I think your suspicion is probably correct Tim. The fungus appeared before he died? Just checking. why do you describe it as fungus - is it slightly fluffy, or really noticably tufty? I ask because it may be a bacteria that looks like a fungus, called columnaris, and you use totally different medications to treat bacteria and fungus. You can't really "clean" the tank at this point, your best bet is treating it IF any other fish show signs of disease. If you removed all the fish and disinfected it, the disease would stay in the fish and just be introduced back into the tank with them when you put them back. But there's no point treating fish that are not actually sick. Play it by ear for now. whatever reason he had for dying may not have affected the other fish. Maybe he injured his mouth and an opportunistic disease set in, for example. HTH

Sounds like mouth fungus, it can kill pretty fast if you don't treat as soon as symptoms show. Melafix used with pimafix is usually all that is needed unless symptoms have not visibly cleared in 2 days. How's the other fish going? There are a few ways you can disinfect the tank, I think there is a topic about it somewhere. Normally I wash it with boiling water and leave it in the sun for a couple days. For plastic tanks/bottles I either use PP or wash it with dilute betadine depending on the shape.

Is was not really fluffy at all just white stuff around the mouth. The other fish are doing great!!! All swimming around happily and eating well. I did try treating it with melafix as soon as i noticed but it was obviousley too late :(

Archived