Newby

llam1

Hi my name is Laura I am just started to discover the world of Bettas. I am based in Sydney and I currently own a dark purple veil tail and have had him now for 6 months. His name is Fred. He lives in a 2L tank at my work and loves it there he's happy and active. I am now looking to start keeping some fish at home but found that in Winter my house gets too cold. I actually lost my first fighting fish because it got too cold for him at home. Hence I'm just about to invest in a small 12L tank, some decorations, a small heater and filter with 3 dividers so that I can keep 4 fish happy and healthy in the tank. I can't believe how many beautiful fish there are certainly makes selecting 4 very difficult! Anyway you never know I might eventually start trying to breed my fish :( Thanks for letting me join! *lol* Laura

Hi there Laura, welcome *lol* Fred sounds very pretty, i love that colour :( Have you tried keeping him on top of the fridge? its generally the warmest place in most houses, but i've been told that the top of water heaters is also good (i'd be a bit afraid of cooking them myself!) you should have access to the rest of the board now :(

Hi! Thanks for your help with the forum posting and for the advice regarding heating up my tank *lol* I look forward to sharing my progress with setting up my home tank. Just gotta figure out how to upload pics now :( This is certainly one of the friendliest forums I have come across :( Laura.

Hi Laura *lol* Some people have tried using a reptile heat mat under a tank to heat the tank if it's too small for a heater. But with a 12 L tank you should be right, as long as you have water circulation (so you don't end up with a hot hot hot compartment at one end and a chilly one down the other end :( ) Where abouts in Sydney are you from?

Hi Laura *lol*

Some people have tried using a reptile heat mat under a tank to heat the tank if it's too small for a heater.  But with a 12 L tank you should be right, as long as you have water circulation (so you don't end up with a hot hot hot compartment at one end and a chilly one down the other end :( )

Where abouts in Sydney are you from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Lilli,

Thanks for the advice. I have recently bought a 25w heater and a filter to circulate the water. The tank seperators aren't sealed so the water should be able to flow quite easily between compartments.

I'm located in Toongabbie (Blacktown/Parramatta area).

Once I get going I will post some pics.

Laura.

Archived