Query About Vt

swordfish

Hello fellow members, :eek: I have noticed in my travels around the internet that some American betta clubs have trashed the VT. One betta club (I think it was Illinois, but I really can't remember, it was just a site I went to via google search), said that VT are no longer a recognised type in their competitions and to quote them, 'VT's are outdated and a thing of the past'. My query is why are VT's outdated? I am in the process of starting a new breeding program with a certain VT colour strain that I love (MG) and it started me wondering...am I about to breed a line of fish that is going to get harder and harder to sell? I think VT's are beautiful, but am I wasting my time...are VT's undesirable now? Swordfish. :eek: (I love these emoticon's, they make me laugh).

If you see the latest show results there are VT classes in the shows over here, I think the VT should always be with us and is the most recognisable betta to the general public, thats why we are breeding them and loking at improving colours and type. cheers Deb

Hello fellow members,  :eek:  I have noticed in my travels around the internet that some American betta clubs have trashed the VT. One betta club (I think it was Illinois, but I really can't remember, it was just a site I went to via google search), said that VT are no longer a recognised type in their competitions and to quote them, 'VT's are outdated and a thing of the past'.  My query is why are VT's outdated? I am in the process of starting a new breeding program with a certain VT colour strain that I love (MG) and it started me wondering...am I about to breed a line of fish that is going to get harder and harder to sell? I think VT's are beautiful, but am I wasting my time...are VT's undesirable now?

Swordfish. :eek:  (I love these emoticon's, they make me laugh).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate, I love em:)

Who cares what yanks think anyway,hehe :eek:

Yeh, too true. I do love 'em myself, that's why I couldn't understand where the yanks heads were at. I havn't been hooked up to the internet for very long and hubby and I were doing our own thing with our betta hobby. When we finally got the internet on we were stunned to see what colours etc..people were breeding out there. That's why I posted my query, I was hoping I wasn't a dag 'living in the past' (as the yank put it), and still into a style that was unwanted anywhere but fish shops. I took Debstep's advice and looked at the Show fish gallery. What a releif to see lovely VT's. I shall go now and let my VT boys know that they are very much still as groovy as they've ever been. :eek: Swordfish

The problem is that the IBC doesn't recognise the VT. I'm not really sure they ever have to be honest, I think they have only ever had standards for symmetrical tail types. Many of the other big clubs have VT show standards though, so if you feel like you want to aim for show fish, maybe check out the European clubs and use their VT standards to have something to aim for. :eek: Betta Australis has VT classes in their shows, so there are certainly opportunities to get the boys out and about! I wouldn't really worry what other cultures think. The problem with the whole "thats soooo last week" attitude is that classic colours and tails are not maintained adequately and when you turn around and need it for something or other, it isn't there in the form you remember it. If we could get *good* VTs out there, it'd leave the pet shops for dead :eek: ... And I'm still a sucker for extended red VTs. I can't help it!

The last betta show up in Qld had a class of VT. Might I say, Najina and I simply drooled :welcome: over the VTs... the DTVTs.. something else again. And the VTs in the couples class... mmmmm I've got a VT who loosely can be called bi-colour (he's maroon, with cellophane edges). Best temperament and attitude. And oh so hardy. I wouldn't worry about being a dag. If you are one, swordfish, so are many of us here!!

almost everyone remembers their very first betta, and he more than likely was a VT. VT just have that extra something (I thunk it's called oomf :welcome: ) that other tail types seems to be missing. If you're breeding bettas, go for what you want to achieve with them, don't worry bout the yanks, they're not gonna be the ones appreciating your fish, we are :cheer: :)

Archived