Tran's Aquariums

Daniel

Tran's Aquariums is located in Canley Vale, across from the station, i found it though the local paper with the above advertisement on bettas.

Their store was very clean and had some lovely fish, (those really expensive silver arowanas, they had about 6x10cm) different arrays of goldfish, my mum fell in love with the ball things sticking out of their heads, she thought they looked like birds (in a way) :balloons:

They had different species of guppies, flame tails and others which i dont know the names of, 4 for $10, and they had really good tropical start-up tanks $55 for an acryllic 40cm with heater and airpump, gravel and backing,

They used to be known for their discus but they only had juveniles there and the patterns weren't overly (sp?) fantastic,

The main reson i went to the aquarium was to pick up a female betta splendens, unluckily they didnt have any females however some of them i was doubtful about their sexuality, they had some really interesting colour combinations some really striking pinks and a white/black dalmation and they had about 6 mustard gas coloured ones.

I gave in and bought a red VT? i think hes a VT, i wish he was female, such a great colour and iridencense and he has a rather fat ventral base (he kinda looks female, but he flares at my other one and had a bubblenest in his container :cheer: )

heres some piccys

Posted Image

no name yet, any suggestions?

Posted Image

the temporary home

the betta was $4 (they cant tell the difference in fin type) and the container was $4 as well

P.S. there was also another aquarium 20m around the corner, and they had a shipment of bettas in too, except i didn't want to take a chance because they had melafex (sp?) in the water and some of them didnt look great, however there was this really good looking purple crowntail, deep blue/purple juvinile, and there may have been females, some did look female but none of the colours really interested me :balloons: mostly blue with red wash

P.P.S they were kept in disposable food containers without holes ;)

So that was my excitement for the afternoon!

Hooray,

Daniel

Just a tip on that container, the junk shops usually sell them between $2-$2.50. Go to Ronnies Bankstown opposite the Bulldogs shop the pet stuff is right down the back fish stuff is right next to the door to the store room and they have lots of cheap plastic tanks there. I got the one I use for breeding for $20 it holds about 20-25L. Just make sure you check the edges and that the lids fit on properly some of the stock is damaged from rough handling and customers. Yeah I've seen a few shops keep bettas in chinese takeaway dishes without holes. I also saw one suffocated because there was no air pocket. Such a shame, it was a lovely fish :balloons: . Oh and Strictly aquariums has 30L (approx) aqua one startup kits with light and accessories for $50. The Yagoona branch is their head office but all strictly's should have the same price. I used to have a combtail male with almost identical colour to your fish, his name was Spike :balloons: . Don't see many good wild coloured bettas nowadays.

Maybe try a $2 store, or go-lo or the warehouse? they usually stock cheap plastic tubs, or critter keepers.

some people have used beanie boxes for their barracks, (little plastic boxes for minature toy bears) you can get them pretty cheap in the states however i did find a website in australia Beanie

and for a picture, Boxes

good luck,

Daniel

opposite the Bulldogs shop

No wonder you know about it Klara :cheer::(

Daniel, females always have short tails. once in awhile you can find a long finned female, but her fins are only a bit longer than a plakats. Most females in LFS's are VT's also ;) but perfect for breeding with VT males :welcome:

How big are Beanie Boxes at the base? Can you fit them in a barracks that has standard guttering as the shelves?

Daniel, have you considered posting a WTB in the classifieds if you still want a female? Breeders generally have plenty available (depending on the type of betta they are breeding) and we generally don't keep our bettas in takeaway containers either :welcome:.

im really not that desperate to spawn, but if i did see one with finnage and colouration i liked, i would go out and buy it, i was hoping to bred true some generations before actually starting a line, to get stable colours and fin types, i should ask if a cambodian is considered a VT, because i believe that is his true type he has flesh colouration on the body and has colouration on the fins. its not the fact they were kept in those containers it was that they didnt have holes and they were stacked ontop of each other :sad Oh could someone tell me if iridescence (i hate spelling) is genetically dominant, recessive or co-dominant? doesnt matter if it isnt i can always paint the fry :rant: Fanks For Comments! Annoyed my male fish does not recognising his full potential as a female and not happy that he didnt change over night or in the blink of an eye, Daniel (bring on the shovels)

i should ask if a cambodian is considered a VT, because i believe that is his true type he has flesh colouration on the body and has colouration on the fins.

Hi Daniel, I don't really understand your question. Cambodian is a colour and VT is a fin type. There are VT cambodians.

Your new fish is not cambodian as cambodians have the flesh coloured ie cream/yellow body and coloured fins.

its not the fact they were kept in those containers it was that they didnt have holes and they were stacked ontop of each other :sad

Really? For me it is the fact that they are in the containers. That is like about 200ml per fish. Fine if the water is changed 4 times a day (and once during the night), but otherwise = a nice ammonia bath.

Oh could someone tell me if iridescence (i hate spelling) is genetically dominant, recessive or co-dominant? doesnt matter if it isnt i can always paint the fry laugh.gif

Iridescence is a dominant trait. People have been trying to breed it out of reds and blacks for decades.

Just as a side note, painted fish are a very sensitive issue for some people. There are sites dedicated to eliminating the practice of dying and painting fish. You're obviously joking!!! I was just visualising how on some forums people would go berserk "what? Painted fish? How could you?" LOL!! thank God AAQ members have a sense of humour.

i was hoping to bred true some generations before actually starting a line, to get stable colours and fin types,

Trying to do this from a LFS pair of fish is a LOT of work. Their genotype is a totally unknown quantity. You have no way of knowing what combination of colour genes is in any particular fish. Eg I once crossed 2 white VTs and got NO white fish in the spawn! I got nice fish, admittedly, but not white ones, which was what I was really aiming for. May have gotten white fish by doing an F1 cross, who knows? I didn't have the space to experiment and end up with 200 more VT babies.

Plus blues & greens/turquoise behave strangely when you breed them. If you cross 2 the same colour you can get a completely different colour - eg :

Royal blue x royal blue gives you 25% turquoise, 50% royal blue, 25% steel blue.

Joep has some excellent articles on genetics - there is a link to his site here: http://www.bettaterritory.nl/ - click on "all about betta splendens".

VT is dominant. I don't think that it would take too long to get a stable fin type if you're breeding them!

If you wanted to breed CTs, get a female that is also a CT, as if you use a VT female you will not get CTs in the first generation (unless there is a CT trait hidden in the female and you get a small % of CT fry and almost all combtails).

I think I know where Daniel is coming from with the cambodian question. One of my lfs labels any VT's as cambodians. They seem to be under the impression it is a tail type rather than a colour combination. I've tried to let them know, but the response I got was along the lines of "pffft! cambodians originally came from cambodia - thats how they got their name & they all have this tail shape. Its got nothing to do with colour" :rant: Unless the lfs to be well educated in the specifics of bettas (which very few are) your going to see many confusing and conflicting labels on them. Best bet is to buy the fish because you like it and then wack up a pic and get someone to ID it for you if you're not sure *lol*

Archived