Cabomba Caroliniana

It sounds the perfect plant for someone like me who has two brown thumbs. :( Although I have managed to keep my java ferns alive - even the ones that I left in the bleach bath for over an hour.... It was touch and go for a while, but after about six weeks, they decided not to cark it and have tentatively grown a new leaf each. Phew!!! Sue

• 1 month later...

Oh dear, I think I've got that plant. It's also called fanwort. I bought it 2 years ago, I can't remember where, but I didn't know it was illegal. Suppose I can feed it to the ducks but the fish love to hide in it. Seems a shame to get rid of it. Doesn't seem to grow that fast, in fact I've got a few other plants that grow faster.

Oh dear, I think I've got that plant.  It's also called fanwort.

I bought it 2 years ago, I can't remember where, but I didn't know it was illegal.  Suppose I can feed it to the ducks but the fish love to hide in it.  Seems a shame to get rid of it. 

Doesn't seem to grow that fast, in fact I've got a few other plants that grow faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has only just been made illegal to sell/trade a month or two ago. It is still perfectly legal to keep it just don't give any cuttings away. It isn't so much the speed it grows but the temperature tolerance and easy of spreading that makes it nasty if I remember correctly. There are some infestations in NSW and QLD waterways I believe.

Then again, if ability to survive in the australia wild was the only criteria elodea and goldfish would be banned.

Dean

Archived