Paradise fish

les

Well these guys are not in a community tank but I will put the story hear.

I was given a bag full of paradise fish from a friend of mine. I had seen only males in the shops and thought them to be a nice looking anabantoid. My mate Lyndon has had the for years breeding in outside tubs. so after seperating a pair from the mob I put them into the same set up as I use for Splendens and within two days I had them spawning. I have been feeding the fry on egg yolk and BBs and they are thriving. I will put up pics when they are somthing better to look at.

Cheers

les

Congrats les! I love paradise fish. I spawned mine a couple of years back... I didn't manage to raise any of the fry I got from them because I had no idea what I was doing. I tried raising them on ground fish food... I'm thinning of giving them another crack.

They'll always have a place in my tanks, being one of the first fish I spawned. I bought two from a tank labelled 'male paradise fish' so you can imagine my surprise when I moved them to their own tank and got eggs.

Here's a photo of my pair in the community tank:

6dfd4810.jpg

Good luck with the fry! Hope you raise lots :D

Edited by afr3178

@ Jarrod

Thanks Buddy, I think you need some of these for your outside tubs:D/>

@ afr3

That is definatly a female and male. Just raise them the same as Betta fry and you wont have a problem. I am only suprised in the size of the spawn and how fast they grow.

@Peter

Thats OK mate, I will put out some more feelers in other states.

I have just been offerd some wild cought Venuzuelan guppies. Ill post pics of them once they are in my tanks.

Cheers

Les

Les, I have been umming and ahhing about whether to give Paradise Fish a go for close to a couple of years now. someone had some nice reds when I was working there that almost followed me home. Lack of tank space was an issue at the time.

The outdoor tubs currently are growing out young Firetail Gudgeons, Pacific Blue Eye and A species of Rainbowfish, the name of which currently escapes me.

Perhaps I should have a look types of Paradise Fish are currently around...

@ Razzi

Have you not moved in yet?? It seems like ages ago that you said work had begun. I am sure that I can send over what ever you would like once it is compleate.

@ Shadoh

Are you telling me that Jodie had red paradise fish in?? I am looking for them at the moment and have asked Peter to keep a look out for me. One more tub outside wont hurt and they are so worth the effort. I would like to get the black paradise and the red. the red is a hybrid so I dont know how true to type it breeds. Maby ask Jodie if she plans on getting more and I will be up for some.

Cheers

les

@ Razzi

Have you not moved in yet?? It seems like ages ago that you said work had begun.

Supposed to be getting the keys this Friday, the day after tomorrow! Maybe... hopefully... fingers crossed... possibly just jinxed it. Sigh. Yes it's been forever. And I'm struggling to muster any kind of excitement. We made the decision to build in November 2011 and had the first draft of the plan a month later. Sigh. Don't make me relive it. But you can understand my lack of enthusiasm. I'm currently working on all the bits that I need to do in the fishroom. Will start a thread when I have the energy and something to show.

Well done Les. You have inspired me to try with these guys. My good mate Jha has procured me a pair so I will be recieving them shortly. Can't wait to try and breed them. Keep you people informed

• 1 month later...