New Tank stocking

whitejade

Hi Everyone,

I have brought the new 66 litre all in one tank, and am in the process of stocking it.

I would appreciate some advice on what I have done and what I want to do next.

I have:

2 Dwarf Gouramis

2 Sliver Sharks

2 Bronze Catfish :D

I would like to add:

4 or 6 Harlequin Rasboras

Would this overstock my Tank? :blush:

Thank you in advance for your help and advice

Regards Jade

I assume the the bronze catfish are bronze corydoras. Generally they prefer to be in a school of 5 or more. They are one of the larger growing corydoras. Smaller corydoras, such as panda cories are much better suited to smaller tanks.

The silver shark, also known as a Bala shark grow to 35cm and are unsuitable for small tanks, generally a 6 foot tank is recommended for them, plus they should be kept in a school to spread the conspecific aggression amongst the many individuals of a school.

Can't help you with the dwarf gouramis. You can always Google them to find a profile about them.

Sorry Jade, this might not be what you wanted to hear.

Hi briztoon,

Thank you for your response.

Damn, the salesman said that the bronzes would only grow to about 6cm.

The sharks I'm not worried about as they are only small now and I will get them a new Bigger Tank later.

The Gouramis I Googled and they say that they will only grow to about 4 to 5cms.

I was wondering more about being able to put some Harlequins in as the inhabitants at the moment are pretty small.

Regards Jade

LOL 6cm is big for a cory. Pandas only grow to about 4cm.

Can't help you with the Rasboras, sorry.

Have a good red about the Gouramis, especially suggested stocking numbers. With many fish, two or three is not a good number, as one will pick on another constantly. Many fish are territorial or show conspecific aggression, so are better kept in small schools of five or more.

Personal opinion: Silver Sharks are the worst fish I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with (my father owned several) and I work in a fish shop dealing with hundreds of fish every day. You couldn't pay me enough to have one in my community tank. Extremely easily spooked, notorious for jumping out (through lids or without), grow extremely large, prey on small fish such as tetras, rasboras, etc. I never, ever have recommended them to anyone and consistently talk people out of buying them.

Dwarf gouramis can be prone to issues with bacterial infections/iridovirus so try to get ones sourced from Australia only, not imported. If the shop can't tell you where they came from, don't buy them. If you see any with a bacterial infection (google for pics), sitting in one spot looking sad, hanging on the bottom or the surface then don't buy ANY from that batch. They will all turn out exactly the same. This does not apply to Honey Gouramis and 'Red Honey' Gouramis or whatever they're called. They're a fairly new hybrid between honey and one of the other dwarves so the naming varies a bit. They seem to be very hardy too. And of course doesn't apply to ones sourced from Australia as I've never had an issue with any of those.

Either go for 1 (better choice for your tank) or 3+ when it comes to Gouramis due to territorial issues.

Cories need a group to be happy, 4+ is ok, 6+ is heaps better. There are plenty of much nicer ones out there than the Bronze that will be more suited to your tank size. Panda, Pygmaeus, Habrosus, Hastatus are all good choices. Julii is probably the biggest I would go with and then only in a smaller group of 4.

Rasbora are fairly hardy and do well in groups of 6+. I wouldn't have a problem putting smaller Rasbora in your size tank. Harlequins are probably the absolute largest I would go for. Similar, better suited size wise options would be Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), Rasbora Maculata (Boraras maculatus), Rasbora Espei (Trigonostigma espei - IME stay smaller than Harlequins despite what many books/websites say) and Glowlight Rasbora (Trigonostigma Hengeli, same thing as the Espei).

I wish somebody told me about the bronze corys being the largest corys, cos I was surprised at how big my bronzes have grown next to my pepper and pandas, and they ... take up a lot of room... :byebye:

Yan is right about the sharks, I stayed away from getting them because of how big they grow and how aggressive they potentially are.

Hi,

Well, it seems that I have made a mess of this ...as I already have the gouramies, the sharks and the bronzes.

How long will it take for the sharks to grow to the size where I need to put them into a big tank please?

Because I have to save the money to buy the big tank ad all its fittings etc.

Or will I need to make fish fingers of them .....depending how quickly they grow.

Thank you for all your suggestions

Regards Jade

Hi Bettarazzi and Siamesefightingfish,

Thank you for the words of encouragement .... they are needed.

As yes, I do have another/better half to convince...

If I was to get a 4ft tank would I be able to put the fish from both current tanks in together?

Fish I have:

1st Tank

14 Guppies

2 Pepper Cory's

2 Flying foxes.

2nd Tank

2 Gouramis

2 Silver Sharks

2 bronze Cory's

Regards Jade

Hi All,

Well I have done it.... I now have a 230litre Tank sitting in the Lounge, Da Da, Daaa.

I have washed it out, filled it with water placed a small amount of used filter wool, noodles in it also, I have had to put plastic plants in for now (purse is now really skinny).

It is the same type of tank, filter lights all in the hood.

The only problem one of the tubes is not working, and the shop is not open until Monday.

Also I hate the white light I want to get the same light as my little tanks which is cool daylight?

Other half nearly freaked out when he saw the size of it.....

Can't wait to get my fish into it and get some new ones as well.

Regards Jade :cheer:

Edited by jade

:applaud: Take your time setting it up, I know how hard it can be trying not to rush the whole process along, boy do I know. :P

If your going to keep the bala's then get another one atleast to create a school. Ideally you should have 5-6 in a school but that tank still wont be big enough for 5-6 adult bala's, they can grow up to 35cm. Also be aware once the bala's get big enough they become less compatible with smaller fish as they will have mouths big enough to eat them.

check out the tetra's and danios. A heap of variety in those fish to choose from. You could make a decent size school with any of those.

Edited by 6ftaquaman

Hi 6ftaquaman,

Thank you yes, I intend getting another shark, I'm not keen on the danios but Tetras probably.

Do you have any suggestions on which ones and how many in a school please.

I was thinking of trying the Ammonia cycling but not sure where to get the ammonia from.

My other half reckons our lounge looks like a fish shop with the 3 tanks ...lol

By the way the Tank's measurements are: Length = 117cm

Width = 42cm

Height = 47cm

Regards Jade

Edited by jade

Hi SiameseFightingFist,

Help I can't work out how to put the PHOTOS ON......

The photos are not to good as I have to use my little phone.

Tge Guppy Tank was tank No 1.

The Denuded Tank has the sharks and Gouramis.

The other 2 are the New Tank.

Hopefully I will learn how to take better photos soon.

Regards Jade

RummyNoseTetra.jpg

Just seeing if I know how to post a picture too, if it works they are rummy nose tetras. They are my favs of the tetras. A school should always be 5 or more but these type of fish in your size tank you could probably have a school of 20 or so if you wanted to. Maybe more depending on what other stock you wanted in the same tank. Would be an idea to keep one other tank you have as a hospital/breeder tank, you never know when that will come in handy.

Hmm not sure if you guys can see the pic, it comes up as a red x for me but if I right click "show picture" it appears for me.

Edited by 6ftaquaman

Hi afr3178,

I did try to post it from photobucket using the insert image icon and using the image code from photobucket and I couldn't get it to work.

Regards Jade

Hi afr3178,

Thank you I tried again using the HTML code on photobucket.

Regards Jade

My link

My link 2

My link 3

Well I hope this works

Regards Jade

Edited by jade