New Tank stocking

whitejade

IMG258.jpg

IMG260.jpg

IMG259.jpg

Here you go :)

To make the pictures show, you need the url encased like this (img)urlhere!(/img) with square brackets instead of round. Theres a little button on the 'Full Edit' page when making a new post/reply that will help too.

Tanks look great btw, congrats!

Edited by Pyrefly

Okay, I admit it I am a newbie on the computer I can't get it at all.

I can't find the button that helps.

I am blind and freaked out.

Could some kind soul please give me step by step directions.

Thank you

Regards Jade:confused:

Edited by jade

So you cant just upload a picture off your hard drive to these forums either? :unsure:

Anyways Jade go to google images and type in rummynose tetra and imagine a school of 10-15 maybe more in your tank, would look awesome. Im planning on about 20 for my tank. I almost got the same type of cabinet for my tank too.

Hi 6ftaquaman,

I googled but not sure about them yet.

I have been thinking along these lines today see what you think:

Already have:

2 Dwarf Gouramis

2 Bala Sharks

2 Bronze Catfish

2 Flying Foxes

Thinking about adding:

1 Bala Shark

1 Dwarf Gourami

2 Bronze Catfish

6 Black Ruby Barbs (if I can get them in Tassie)

or

6 5 Banded Barbs

Opinions appreciated along with suggestions.

Regards Jade

Edit:

I have moved most of the gravel and nearly all the plants along with the filter media into the new tank, that should help speed up things.. yes?

Edited by jade

Yes if the tank you moved everything from was cycled and has good bacteria it will speed the tank cycle up. The more things from the tank means the more good bacteria helping to cycle the new one too. If you dont have one you should purchase a freshwater test kit that tests ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph.

With the tank stocking my advice is to research which fish are schooling fish and know as a rule of thumb that they should be in groups of 5-6 or more if you want them acting natural and not scared and skittish or aggressive. Having 5-6 also spreads out aggression within the school so it is not always the weakest being picked on and helps keep the aggression to that school and not other fish species in the tank. Tiger barbs (banded barbs) are known for fin nipping other fish if not kept in a decent size school.

Having said that, these are things that could happen not will happen but the more steps to you take limit it the less likely it is you will have an aggression problem in the tank.

Check out the angel fish, one of the most exotic looking freshwater fish and they do not need to be in a school so you can have the number you would like with them.

Once you know which fish you would like use that tank stock calculator link I posted on the first page I think it is. It will tell you if they are compatible, if any particular fish needs special requirements like driftwood for example but most importantly it will tell you if your filtration is good enough to keep the amount of fish you want or not.

Hope this helps.

Hi 6ftaquaman,

Thank you for your help and advice.

I have moved more than half the Gravel and all the Plants and filter material.

I did a check today:

Ph = 7.2

Amm = 0

Nitrites = 0

Nitrates = 5.0pmm

So I did a 20% WC and all is well.

I have moved my fish over.... I know should have waited a bit longer but you know how it is......

Anyway, I brought a pr of Blue Rams they are beautiful and so far everyone is getting on splendidly.

By the way, the 2 sharks and the 2 Flying Foxes are schooling around together.

Here is an update Photo of the Tank at this Stage.

IMG277640x480.jpg

Regards Jade:cheer:

Edited by jade

Looks good :) Be careful putting cichlids in a community tank though (blue rams) as they have the potential to destroy a community tank with aggression. Most cichlids are claseed as semi aggressive or agressive fish whilst your community fish are classed as peaceful and there will only be one winner if you have aggressive cichlids in your tank. I have never kept blue rams myself and from what I have heard they do seem to be ok in a community tank most of the time so good luck with them :)

Hi 6ftaquaman,

Thank you, at the moment the Rams are mixing in very well no aggression so far fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Friday or Saturday I am going to a new store to see what schoolers I can find.

I really want something colourful as my Tank is predominately silver or silver hued.

I havve sold the new 66 litre Tank so I will have a few more dollars to spend Lol..

Regards Jade

oooo that is a very nice lookin' tank you got there. Very well done. You've obviously taken the time to garden landscape it.

oops I didn't get around to helping you figure out how to post photos. I personally use Flickr which I find very easy to use, much simpler than Photobucket but then again I think I'm just used to Flickr and how they do things.

Hi 6ftaquaman and SiameseFightingFist,

Firstly: 6ftaquaman, I have brought some more fish.... 3 NG Rainbow Fish, 4 Black and Gold Platy's .... I have to stop this it's becoming an addiction...Lol.

No worries and thank you SiameseFighting Fist, have had assistance from Pyrefly so I shouldn't have any more problems...hahha.

Regards Jade

EDIT: Here is a photo of the Tank now for the moment...

7986933424_61c1fc1720.jpg

IMG279 (640x480) by jade2022, on Flickr

Edited by jade

Yeah it is quiet addictive isnt it. Keep in mind not to overstock your tank though or you could find yourself losing half your fish with an ammonia spike. The more fish you have the more regular you will have to do maintainance. I have to get a better phone so I can take some pictures of my tank, I have a dinosaur phone that takes crappy grainy pictures.

Hi 6fyaquaman,

For the first month I do daily checks and partials every 2/3 days so I am hoping this will keep it all under control....

But, you know what they say..the plans of mice and men..

My Phone is crappy but takes reasonable photos, go figure .

Regards Jade.