Sydney grooming competition

Yanagi

Hi all, this was brought up in the meeting thread but didn't get many bites so I thought I would make a dedicated thread. We had a lady dump betta fry on us a week ago, they are very small (most 1cm or under) and we don't really want to raise them so why not use them for a grooming comp? Unknown tail type to add to the fun, lol. Usual grooming comp rules apply. 3 months to raise and prep for showing. I will be the judge unless anyone has objections to that. Anyone who is able to pick up the fish from me or at a meeting is able to join in. $5 for 5 randomly selected fry. Who is interested? :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I'll give this a go too, figured I'd come and check out the thread after you mentioned it at the store this arvo.... the bf was kinda interested in getting himself a betta as well anyways, so this could work out well, lol (though he can strain his eyes looking for the bluest looking baby :D). At any rate, worst comes to worst we'll be out five bucks. We'll drop into the store tomorrow morning to pick them up, and now knowing my luck we'll pick all females or something :P though I'll go look to see if there's previous grooming threads, get more of an idea about what it is we'll need to do, if it's anything other than just making sure the little guys grow up.

Ah you won't be able to pick them up tomorrow, I'm organizing this on my own and will be purchasing the fry based on the number of people who want to enter and I will catch 5 fry at random, you don't get to pick what you get. :)

So our bites so far are;

PaigeH

Merri

Sarah

Zui

I'd like to avoid people posting pictures of how their babies are growing when they're older.. For now I mean it's fine, but it would be a bit more fun to see the huge differences that will no doubt occur. :)

Alrighty, I'm not at work again until friday (unless I end up going in mid-week to dump my marine fish, lol) so most likely pick up will be avaliable from then on, at my place (PM for address) or mutual agreement on some public area such as the McDonalds across the road from work. Perhaps it would be more fun to gather in a group at the cafe beside work and draw coloured straws that match coloured stickers on the bags... Hahaha, I dunno guys, let me know what you want to do. :)

FTR, you will not only win the glory of best betta raiser (?) and bragging rights but I'm thinking up some great prizes for;

Best Male

Best Female

Grand Champion / Best In Show

Might add more categories if we gather more interest. :)

OH! Also! For those wishing to partake, get your live food cultures ready NOW! Or your BBS hatching technique perfected, some of these guys are very small... :)

Edited by Yan

Good on you, Kris!! We are arranging a meeting for 28.4.12, would that be enough time to feed the little mites up, or will they take longer than that to cook?

I personally will have to say no to the babies, as I can't do fish myself at the moment. But I do hope you get heaps of interest! :applaud:

:bighug:

I don't think that will be enough time to get any decent growth out of these guys unfortunately, none of mine have even hit 2cm yet. :(

How does 3pm Sunday arvo sound? Gives time for anyone to check out the fish at work if they want (we shut at 5 on sunday) and grab a coffee before or afterwards, there's even the pub across the road for the non-coffee drinkers, lol. I'm aware there's the gathering on saturday but I don't think I'm able to make that.

If anyone is unavailable to pick up at that time/location, it's ok! :D You can still participate, you'll just have to organize to pick it up from my house, I'm about 15 mins from auburn aquarium.

Thanks Yan.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pull out from the grooming comp.

My mum accidentally smashed my tank with a shovel, and I don't have anywhere else to put the fry. She has offered to replace, but can't right now. :(