Marble(and dragon!) from Kermadum

Lilly

Well he dosn't look anything like he used to, does he? :lol:

YAHBH.jpg

When I purchased him.

yF7xS.jpg

And now.

FaQOq.jpg

Excuse the awful photos, he's a bit of a quirky boy and won't live happily in any proper tank. So the 2.5 litre, plastic treatment tank has now become his little home. I had a lovley 8.5l tank all ready for him, and have tried twice to move him in, but both times he has become stressed and managed to get an ugly case of fungus over night. I've put my guppy fry in there before he went in, and they were more than happy! So it's not the water or tank- it's him!

Anyway, he's a lovely boy as my only male betta. The whole family love watching him change. He started with a spot on his tail and it's slowly crept forward.

Kermadum, the dragon girls you sent quite a while ago with him are doing fantastic, too. I unfortunately lost one because of a stupid mistake when siphoning out their tank (which I will never do again), but the other two are very happy little girls and live in my 40l with a few guppies. :D

Edited by Lilly

I've got some of Adam's fish - marbles and dragons probably from the same spawn, and I just love them!

Fortunately (?) none of them have changed very much in colouration - and the girls are quite large and very rambunctious - the only ones I'd dare put in the spawn tank with my evil marble giant Sanchez.

He's really interestingly coloured now - I think I prefer this version!

Lovely fish.

-Ness

That's a massive colour change indeed. None of the ones I still have change anywhere near that dramatically. Not that I have many left now, mostly just a few girls and one boy.

I wonder if the marble action is affected by environmental things, water parameters, tank size, diet, or if it's completely random.

I suppose that's one of those things that nobody knows the answer to.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys! Sorry I didn't check back here, I'll be on more often now.

I've had him for 7 Months now, so I say to get to that stage was about 4 months.

The environmental influence would be an interesting thing to know... although as you said, I don't think anybody would know the answer to it!

He's a very cool boy indeed. Oh, and i managed to move him up to a bigger (still plastic) tank. So he's now in about 5 and a half litres. Here's a picture of him today- and this one is nicer quality! You can see he's still changing...

7gcfl.png

I quite like the new version, too! :) I originaly wanted one of the boys that showed more marble from the spawn, but I didn't get in in time. Well... I think I ended up with the most marble-ish of them all! :P

Edited by Lilly

Pheww- that's one old fish! :P They're very outgoing personalities, aren't they? Haha. This girl guards her spot under the driftwood... occasionally a guppy will float down there but it's never longer than a few seconds and the poor thing comes zooming out swimming for it's life.

Very big, chunky girls hehe. I've not had many betta's, but I do know my two are quite fiesty! :)

Hehe, the family certainly enjoys watching Mr. Fishy change every week! :)

Haha, Paul. Don't tell her that. :P

Wild Nut, I was curious after you said that, so took a ruler to go and see. She's very friendly so she made it quite easy. Her body is 4.5cms (maybe a tiny bit more). That is from her mouth/nose to where her tail starts, but not including her actual tail. I think the other female, who you can just see above her in the first photo, is a little bit bigger. Would you class her as large?