Re-silicone my wild tank...

shadoh

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After yesterday's adventure and learning that stripping back and adding a new silicone seal wasn't as traumatic as I was thinking it would be, I've decided to tackle a bigger project - the 2.5 ft tank I recently scored to use as a growout tank. Wish me luck :)

Already on the lookout for old louver glass to turn into summer holiday growout digs for fry during the breeding season. If laid longways, it would give them a bit of a run. Much better than a jar :)

Hmm... A glass betta breeding maze... Put male in one end and the female in the other.

ooOOooOOOoooOOoooooooo that'd be a-MAZE-ing (couldnt help it)

Yeah I've always liked the idea of long runs for the kids that are just jarred instead of - well - jar shapes.

I'm in perfect denial that it's something I need to be thinking about soon.

Think i might just outsource, Joan's got a few hairy spare tanks............... Jess? what's her tanks doing? hmm...

delegate to the megamax!

Getting the paint right is the first step - and thank GOD there's no glitter involved. (sorry Sarah)

:P

Tins of spray paint are the best for painting tanks - 2 coats is usually enough - as long as the glass is cleaned with metho or window cleaner and dry the paint sticks easily. The 4 ft tanks I painted the other day were done with acrylic paint and a roller as they already had fish in them and I didn't want overspray to get into filters or tanks (spray paint is always an outdoor job but acrylic and a roller is easy indoors). If you use a roller and acrylic paint it won't stick as well as spray paint but a couple of coats and it looks ok.....

If you have latent graffiti artist tendencies - the spray cans will let you create some great backdrops or tags in your tank backgrounds too :)

Sitting out the back looking at the tank and wishing the 7 days curing time for the silicone was up, I was thinking to myself that it looks pretty good for an old tank. Shame about the chips out of the edges on the top edges. That is where inspiration hit me...

A quick trip to Bunnings and $6 later, my Mahachai are going to be rockin' it old school :D

df78e403.jpg

a1ca2406.jpg

No changes apart from the blood and bone :) I am pretty happy with the substrate. It is a smallish tank and I didn't have as huge as an algae problem starting up last time as I did with the 4 footer. I made sure the tank was heavily planted and had heaps of floating plants.

Oh, the other change will be to make sure I don't grab any terrestrial plants being sold as aquatic. I still kick myself over the mondo grass. I remember breaking it apart and thinking "This is so similar to mondo grass" *lol*

Matt hasn't deleted anything in this thread. I said it in jest, as there have been a couple of times we have been mucking around in the statuses and I've replied to a comment then realized it has been deleted. *lol*. Not having a go or anything...

I LOVE my retro Mahachai tank:D

Ooooh, I dlete statuses if I make spelling mistakes lol.

e

I really like the look of the tank, it looks like a larger version of an old tank I used to have until my sister broke it -.-

Will you be using the the same driftwood and planting sheme? Have you heard of rotala sp. green? I think it woudl be great, its got a lovely lush green colour and if you trim it often it forms a really dense bushy plant, its one of the most versatile aquascaping plants IMO. It looks stunning when used right.

Great work Jarrrod Ill get some aluminiam when Bunnings opens tomorow I scored a lot of glass recently from the tip. are you going to use CO2 in this tank? OH and Yates makes a B&B without the pluss and Bunnings carries it

Cheers

Les

Finally the silicone curing time is up. I filled the tank up to the brim last night and it passed the leak test :D I'm happy that my silicone technique is improving... I am currently spraying the back and sides of the tank. I can't wait to play in it tomorrow afternoon and get busy scaping it :)

First coat...

2612b2f5.jpg