NPT Attempt 2. :-).

Fletch

Hi Paul

After I put the CO2 in my tank the alge went away. Do you have a bubble counter? maby the CO2 isnt keeping at the right level if the alge isnt all gone. What is your opinione on the cartridge CO2? I did look at it but have gone for reusable

Cheers

Les

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using Dino Spit which is co2. Algae did go away and I stopped using it. Have had a bell diffuser in this tank with co2 in a can but not real confident it's doing much.

I am now using the Dino products again in both tanks. Not sure if it's the Spit or Pee that is making the difference. My other tank has algae since I stopped using these and I have DIY co2 hooked up on that tank. That tells me it's nutients as much as co2??

Thoughts????

The whole idea of this tank was to avoid using daily chemicals. If I need to use the Dino products as well, so be it. They are not expensive. :-)

I forgot to check my DIY CO2 and it ran out. What do you know... Another algae outbreak...

Obviously the substrate doesn't generate enough CO2 and the tank requires the extra I was providing. It's not as if I don't have enough plants in there to soak up nutrients...

When I stopped Dino products, I started second co2 bottle (DIY) so that should have compensated for the lack if Spit. But nothing to replace Pee (nutrients). Now I have that brown fuzzy algae plus green algae on the back glass that gets the morning sun.

Ps. Damn, wrong tank. Lol. This applys to 3ft.

The spit is CO2, its used by the plants as glucose I think, it's more difficult for them to use than CO2 so the use all the CO2 up first.

I think if you add more organic matter to the substrate it will help you out with CO2 and nutrients. The peat Tony recommends would provide the CO2 but not nutrients... From memory the blood and bone is mostly P and Ca, you also need N and K as well as the micros. I would continue to dose the dino spit, you could probably even double or triple the dose with your plant mass.

Didn't think of that... I don't think increasing it that much would cause algae, you can still have high nutrients in low light, as long as you have enough CO2 to balance it. If they are going fine now with your current dosage I would leave it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt & Sarah. :-)

This tank going crazy. Most cripts are now getting new leaves and all looks good. Still some algae around but much less and not getting worse, just clearing slowly. I use nothing in this rank other than canned co2 in a bell diffuser. Not confident it actually does much but not doing any harm, so why not. Still no filter at all.

Fish all look like they like it. :-).

eb70c062.jpg

59a05081.jpg

Wow Paul

You realy put me to shame with what you have given your channs, The tank looks ammazing dont knock the Co2 it will decrease the alge by alowing the plants to be more competetive for nutrients just stay away from the phos ferts and it will be clean sailing. Try aquapage.eu it gives the light in whats that each plant needs and you use the calculatore for your tank to work out what you need, it might help you figer out that side I hope it helps.

Oh and by the way I am loving your Channs

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les. Happy with the growth so am happy to use the co2. Not sure about the bell diffuser though. All good.

@Shadoh......still one Cory that I can't catch swimming around. Have had no "action" inthe tank but last night I did a big wc. Both girls showed an immediate change in both apperance and behavior. The boys freaked out a bit as they are not as used to me poking around, yet. Lol. Gave em a good feed of bs and fingers crossed they become eager. Going to do a small wc again tonight. I think the trick was using cool water. (thanks Wildnut).

Maby if you check out three way Co2 line conection and put another diffuser at the other end of the tank. I bought a two set for that perpose so it gives it a more even distribution if there isnt and filter for water flow

Cheers

Les

• 2 weeks later...

I knew this tank was doing ok but it's when I looked at the photos on the previous page that I realized how good the plant growth has been. In two weeks it is really a jungle in there. Can't do anything in the tank ATM as boy is holding.

Full tank shot.

c06d41e0.jpg

400a7941.jpg

5138cbeb.jpg

Haven't trimmed in a few weeks. Can't at the moment.

I usually clear duckweed out every wc and trim when needed. It does need a clean up at the moment but not untill male releases. Hopefully fry have a better chance in the tank.