NPT Attempt 2. :-).

Fletch

This tine I used river sand from landscapers yard. $2 for a 20ltr bucket. :-). Needed lots of washing and a little coarser but looks good.

Did same substrate as last time but cut back on Blood & Bone, used one spoonful. Have allowed fir the sand to compact (didn't last time) and put a nice thick layer on the top. Hopefully that was my issue.

Full tank shot. Much happier with the layout this time.

56f6dace.jpg

You can see the bleaching of the leaves in these pics. Hopefully this will repair now.

Right side.

f78bfe5e.jpg

Left

d74e9d7e.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hope the thin layer on the previous attempt was the issue. Can't think of anything else and I know you can't Jarrod as we have spoken all the way through.

This is the main reason I am doing this first in a small tank as my 3ft would be a nightmare to pull apart and do again. Am quite happy if this is a lesson learnt. :-)

Ps. Thanks guys. :-).

Thanks Les. Found this girl tonight. Her color is so dark and the irid layer is so bright. She never sits still and is the alpha girl. I had to remove another one as she was picking on one other. Very nasty.

Anyway. Hers some photos of her.

4e7cb48c.jpg

Notice weed, I think it's been burnt from last effort. Any ideas?

06cce302.jpg

69e16059.jpg

Nice looking fish Paul... great colour there....

Re the 'weed' looking burnt - if its the crypts that have suffered a bit they tend to regenerate and spread well - you might end up with them even dying down and looking like they're not there but I've found that they do shoot back again......

You've inspired me a bit - going to have another crack at a larger planted tank for a display inside - so make all the mistakes and post them on here so I learn from them :)

Pictures speak 1000 words.

3 DAYS AGO.

69e16059.jpg

TODAY

6443e78b.jpg

507643b2.jpg

Funny thing is, at lunch time I was sure I could see improvement with the plants, after ten minutes staring at the tank. Water has been a little "milky" and I honestly thought it was the new globe. Water is now crystal clear and it's hard to see any damage on any of the plants. Complete turnaround in eight hours. :-).

Tank been set up 3days. Mire photos to come.

S :censor: Buman Paul thats fast I am ammazed. this gives me a great idea for an experiment for NPT vs Non NPT with same plants and light and a leaf count over time to compare the two

Great pics by the way keep them comming

Cheers

Les

The effect has been so drastic and obvious with this little tank, I am now doing my 3ft tank tomorrow. Will use the excisting lights and just change the substrate. Will replant the plants that are there and see what the difference is.

So excited. :-)

This tank is going crazy. All Val that is on the surface is pearling madly on the upper surfaces. They are also sending runners out in all directions. The water is crystal clear. The crypts color is good but I did a lot of damage to their roots cleaning them from the last putrid attempt, so most of the leaves have melted but I am hoping they will shoot once the roots have repaired a bit. Silly as it sounds, they still look better.

All in all, this tank is going so well it made me do the three footer. :-)

First lot of tests.

Ph. 7

Ammonia. 0.1-0.4mg/L

Nitrite. 0.5

Nitrate. 50mg/L

Doing 50% wc. Fish all look ok. Looks like the ammonia spike is already moving through naturally.

Thoughts?????

Edited by Busman