NPT

Fletch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sze is it?

With softwater fish you will probably need to do regular waterchanges to keep the ph down. The elodea I think may bring the ph too, they take the CO2 out of a bicarbonate ion forming a carbonate ion. Measuring the ph as you've already said you will during the first few weeks of setup. I think Tony advises waterchanges every two weeks... He keeps CRS which need a similar ph, kh and gh to apisto's.

It would rise, I'll have to check my book when I get home for the exact chemistry but the carbonate becomes calcium carbonate raising the ph. they don't use the entire molecule. I use mostly softwater plants that can't do this in my tanks. The large amount of alkaline substance in the substrate would slowly raise it too. That's another reason I like the soil :)

There were some studies in Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. That's why it's a noxious weed, it can outcompete so many other plants.

I had better check my book anyway, I know the process raises the ph anyway.

I just looked this up, egaria densa, another name for elodia is listed as a plant that doe sthis. It puts out an acid from its leaves with a ph of around 6, it reacts with calcium bicarbonate causing it to be calcium carbonate and CO2 whcih the plant takes up. The plant takes in the acid it secreted and the water surrounding the plants has a ph of around 10.

I use hornwort to act as a nutrient sponge during start up if I think I may have a problem, I find it easier to grow in tubs outside without it browning.

24 hrs after set up.

Ph. 7.6+

Ammonia. Just registered. 0.1mg/L

Nitrite. 0

Nitrate. 0

Hhhmmmmm

Just added three IAL leaves. I may have figured out a problem. I tied the java fern to some lose rocks I got at Bunnings. They are WHITE. I am sure I have read that almost all white rocks increase ph.

Is this correct??????

Edited by Busman

That is correct, take them out and drop some vinigar on them, try to dry it first if possible, if it bubbles it will raise the ph... I don't see the problem though since you already have marble in the substrate though, isn't it just teh same thing sort of?

Tested again this morning. Tank still cloudy. Smell has gone.

Ammonia.......off the chart.

Nitrite...........0

Nitrate..........0

Ph.........7.

Obviously doing a 50% wc immediately. Lost one Betta girl. All other fish look and behaving normally.