Fishie Photobox

shadoh

Just thought I'd share the quick, slapped together photobox I made today. I needed a better environment to take the photos in. In the past, I have either taken photos of my juvies direct in the barracks or moved their container outside. While it has been fine, it has been hard to capture the true colour of the fish. I thought about a purposly built photo tank, but then you need to give the fish some time to adjust and settle into new water/tank and when taking photos of multiple fish, it can take forever...

I have taped 4 pieces of foam together, lined them with black file dividers, added a mirrored back. The barrack cube sits inside, I can sit the barracks light across the top and drape a towel over the whole lot to avoid light reflections on the front of the glass.

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

I gave it a test run and I'm very happy with the results! :D

4-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

Now to do water changes and work out which juvies to list in the classifieds later on today...

nice setup the test photo is reallly nice! I can definitely see an improvement in photo quality sometimes your other ones seemed a little over bloomed, have you tried without the mirror it might improve the photo even more if your hands and camera didn't reflect in it as much. Just some ideas!

Thanks Neffy. I usually use the flash on my photos, so it really destroys the true colours of the fish. Don't have to use the flash now :)

I have tried without the mirror, but they won't flare or display without it. tried with the mirror at the side, and find that all my fish only want to flare side on to the mirror, so cannot get them flaring in the right direction. Same with 2 fish side by side. I'll be refining it as I go, but for now, you'll have to put up with blurry shots of my hairy hobbit like hands in the background of the photos *lol*

More impressed that you made this yourself!

Thanks Neffy. I usually use the flash on my photos, so it really destroys the true colours of the fish. Don't have to use the flash now :)

I never use flash in my photography. It has its place and time but for the most part I'd much rather go with a good sensor and fast lens.

I have tried without the mirror, but they won't flare or display without it. tried with the mirror at the side, and find that all my fish only want to flare side on to the mirror, so cannot get them flaring in the right direction.

Is it possible to use differing strengths of light and have the light pointed down and angled slightly towards the glass of the little tank so that it creates a mirror image back to the fish? Make sure that the light you're using is small enough to light only the inside of the tank. You'll need to turn all other lights off in the room so that no other light bleeds in through the front glass. That way the entire front glass of the tank pretty much becomes a mirror for the fish and it'll flare towards the front of the tank.