Substrate ideas?

Robbie Before I would make my mind up on the type of substrate need I would have a reasonable idea of what I wanted the finished tank to look like. For example- a rocky riverbed look you could use containers with 1-2-mm gravel as plant pots and then cover the rest with a mixture or 5 - 20 mm gravel and a couple of large boulder thrown in for good measure. or the sandy river bottom just use river sand and a few bits of timber- make sure the sand is not too fine as plants like a bit of airspace between grains. I used 10 smooth black pebbles and 30 - 60mm smooth black pebbles in the planted tank that won Best Display of Show at this years RNA so you see the choice is depndant upon how you want the finished tank to look. Graeme :drool:

Robbie you can get 5 black widow tetras for $10 up my way, they are youngish, so they would need to grow to adult size, which is quick I found. Don't pay $3.95 each for them!! They always have them in, along with Zebra danios for the same price :D Phil, I guess your right, I always see river sand at my local garden centre, never gave much thought into it :) It's like $30 for a trailer load!!

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up just getting bout 10kg of 3mm "Gold" pebbles/sand, so It looks like river sand :D I went looking VERYWHERE for river sand. couldn't find it in Kmart or Bunnings or Mitre 10 :D so just went to one of my LFS and bought the sand from there (10kg, under $20) Pics of my commy ta k can be seen in the Commy tank forum bit :P

Archived