Tank Numero First

hungryemo

Okay, so, to many of you - this will be pure ammateur but it's my first tank so, there's that.

6222464218_3976421c4e.jpg 6221943711_b6e1da8560.jpg

So I will add the plants tomorrow to hide the ugliness (I didn't realise that there was an even smaller corner filter until we got home and my partner said... grrrr). I've added Seachem Prime, Carbonate Hardness Generator (I hope that's right), Aquarium Salt, and a bit of food. Is there anything else I should be doing right now? Have I done anything wrong you can see? Should the heater go a bit diagonal to ensure it's fully submerged?

Such a small space to work with. Can't wait to get some bigger tanks! :lol:

Doesn't the aquastart have a top filter in the hood? Plants don't grow to well with a bubbler unless its moss or java fern or something dead easy like that. Or that can use carbonates as a C source.

I think I have a castle exactly like that but withoput th fake plants.

I would put the heater diangonal and try to hide it behind the castle a bit more, looks good :)

How big is that tank? Really nice choice or ornament (Where did you find it?) and substrate :D

If the water movement is fairly slow, the heater will do better at an angle, absolutely.

If you're cycling from scratch, you can start 'feeding' the water to begin accumulating some beneficial bacteria.

Most importantly.. Have you chosen the inhabitant? :D

It's a 28ltr... got it off eBay with the stand but no filter or heater, etc. There's only a light in the hood.

Actually just got the ornament from the local pet store. I didn't really want to overcrowd it with lots of little bits so just went with that one thing... I like the "ruins" look. :D

Still looking for the inhabitant. All my local stores have Bettas that look like they've rolled over and died so hoping to source one (or a few!) from these forums. I think I'm more interested in the Halfmoons but I've seen a couple of Giant Butterfly Plakats that I've really liked so... the hunt begins!

I also saw some Bristlenose Catfish that I loved - would it be possible to have that in with a male Betta in this size tank?

Good to know.

Any other fish that would be good for that size? I'm not really that fussed about other inhabitants for it but would be good to see a couple of fishies in there.

EDIT: Doesn't have to just be fish either. Any good shrimp or snails?

Edited by Hungry Emo

So we went to the Aquarium store today.

6225793746_4eff459d50.jpg

Hello tank!

The ornaments probably won't stay and obviously no plants, driftwood, or backing yet but whoot! It's four foot so gives us a bit more options on fish.

Will be getting a couple of two foot tanks soon also.

I was getting jealous of seeing everyone else's amazing communal tanks and although the plan was to wait for a good deal on a second hand tank... I got impatient. :blush:

I've been wondering whether to paint it black or put up that blue background I've seen others have - I think either look awesome.

Congratulations on having Multiple Tank Syndrome.

I love those Aqua One Horizon tanks such clean lines and decent quality for the price. One peice of advice however depending on what you decide to stock the tank with the filter is realy not up to scratch.

Thanks, Sha. Appreciate any advice. This was more my partner's choice and did try to say that most "package" Aquariums come with lower-quality accessories but I was ignored cos "you got your tank set up last night and I want mine nao!" :lol:

Which filter do you suggest? I'm completely useless with terms so any brand (or a link to one or two) would be awesome.

It will depend on what you are stocking your tank with however for tanks over 3ft I always think external canister filters are the way to go. Personnaly I am a big fan of the eheim classic filter with the glass attachments and clear tubing. However I recently discovered the eden 501 for tanks under 60L which is whisper quiet and does a great job. This would be to small for your tank though they may make a larger one.

Thanks. I had been reading that a lot of people use the external canister filters so thought maybe that was the best way to go. Still haven't decided what's going in there. Would like a good communal tank with lots of colour but each website I go to, it says different fish with each other - so pretty confusing right now.

Personally I love biotype aquariums but at the end of the day you need to be happy with what you have and get enjoyment out of it. When I first started keeping fish I just followed what the LFS recommended and wound up with an overstocked tank filled with fish that were incompatible. Nowadays I listen to very little advice from LFS staff unless I know them.

haha. tanks must be exploding into existence all over your house XD

I'm sure the smaller tank was heaps easier. defs go with a canister filter

for the big tank. can't help you with model, but from what I've heard, the 'age of aquariums'

gets pretty good reviews and shipping is $7.50 flat

planning a big tank should be heaps of fun though. grab inspiration from sites like these

+link or alternatively, just sit there like and idiot and drool at them XD

and this +link is a pretty good plant data base. and if you've got nothing in the gravel, maybe crush up some of dave's 'dino dung' and put it underneath where ever you're planning to put plants, that way their can get nutrients from their roots. I always found that my plants died when i put them into straight gravel >_>

most importantly, have fun ^_^ and i love your eleven icon <3

Thanks for all the tips.

Got some plants for the big tank today but still haven't really arranged it. I'm basically just gonna wait till I've got to a place where it's enough, and then sort it all out!

I do have a question though. Before I got the big tank and the Aqua One, I got this tank (link). The filter's too much to keep Bettas in... what do I need to do lower the flow?

I think someone mentioned it would make a good sorority tank - how many girls would be comfotable in there?

Cheers.