Breeding Peppermints?

zhong89

I recently purchased a beautiful breeding colony of peppermint catfish... they have tried to breed for me once before but I accidentally spooked the male and he ate the eggs. Today I found more eggs, I removed the eggs from the cave just in case the male decides to eat it again or if my clown loach manage to get past the peppermint male and decides to steal the eggs.... I have never breed peppermints before so I have no idea how to keep the eggs.

Any tips and advice is very much appreciated!

Much easier to leave with dad

generally place in an egg tumbler with gentle water movement and i would keep them in the dark myself as they are in there cave not sure if this helps but do remember someone reccomending it to me once (catfish breeder)

small containor floating in tank will do with a airstone keep an eye out for fungus, I have manged seperate fungused l168 eggs but its dificult and a pain from memory

Goodluck

Ray

I had to remove the eggs coz the dad gets spooked easily. They're now in my newly bought fry saver, I can actually see them wiggling in the eggs! I'm hoping to raise this batch to at least 3cm

19a42e5a.jpg

Edited by Joan

HAHAHA she is! I had two that actually jumped into the fry saver in the filter section! The eggs are so brightly coloured I thing they think it's food. I can see some eyes in the eggs! I'm hoping they'll hatch today or tomorrow...

@Ness lol... You know she won't leave the eggs alone. Only for moment when there's real food. It's quite funning watching her trying to get in.

@michael

Here's a full of the fry saver

0ec21021.jpg

I don't think there's enough current in the fry saver for hatching but there's definitely enough for raising the fry. I'm buying a eggs tumbler and try again to see if there's a higher hatching rate if they decide to spawn again. I have about 70% hatching rate.

@everyone else:

One 3 days after hatching

592d5c4c.jpg

f6303f34.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a breeding colony of 2 males and 2 females (and a smaller one don't know if male or female).

I have an update... due to my fry saver has a hole in it for air all my babies came out before I know it! Good thing is nothing in the tank is big enough to eat them... I found one today! isn't s/he cute...

6a961590.jpg

Just give you a sense of size... this is a anubias nana (small leaves)

Edited by Joan

Joan what method do you use to remove your eggs to put them in the fry saver, and what sort of caves or objects do you utilise? I purchased 3 caves from one of my local shops but am i a bit concerned they may be a bit too high at the front so am considering purchasing a D link cave or one of these http://thefishcave.com.au/sales_area/#bristlenosecavesales or even going to bunnings to just use PVC pipe.

I am at the stage where my breeding tank has finished cycling however i have added more fish to further establish it then i will remove them and put my bristlenose in. I only gave 1 male and 1 female so going to buy another of each next week and hope for the best i guess.

I am also getting a peppermint approaching breeding age tomorrow but unfortunately wont have an opposite sex for them.

Thanks for your time :)