Sterilizing......

Fletch

How does everyone sterilize after disease??

What do you use and in what ratio? What about the sponge filter?

Have had some issues of late and have two tanks plus gravel to be done. Should I also dump the weed?

Thanks everyone. :-)

I know I have a bottle of sterilizer for my home brew kit around here somewhere - just can't find it... I think you are right Matt - it is somewhere around the 30% - 40 % mark of H2O2, and yes, being food grade would be safer. I used bleach on a tank yesterday, threw the gravel on the garden and put new gravel in the tank (I didn't trust myself to rinse it out properly.) If I had of thought (and remembered where my bottle sterilizer was) I could have saved it :)

Oh, and I used a weak bleach solution on the plants...

Paul, will you be steralising the tank with fish in there? If not from memory 1ml per litre will kill everything. Anything that kills bad germs will kill the biofilter sorry :( you just have java fern don't you? It's so hardy, a 5 minute dip while the tanks are being dosed won't kill it. If it's your planted tank, every plant needs different dosages. I prefer to use condies to steralise plants also known as PP, a bottle from the chemist will last your grandkids life time :)

innnnnteresting....

I used a really mild dettol solution to clean up after the zombie disease - and no reoccurrence (very contagious)

I now use a solution to store my nets in so they are clean after every use.

Gravel and plants hit the bin.... but listen to Matt n Paul! my method sounds pretty slap-dash after H202

-Ness

I've been trying various methods. I used bleach solution, vinegar or potassium permanganate.

I'm most happy with bleach solution.

Potassium permangate can give stain to your clothes and/or the sink

And I haven't tested extensively with vinegar too. Only used it a couple of times, so I can't really say I'm happy with it yet.

I use a hospital grade disinfectant containing bezalkonium chloride to sterilize tanks, beanie boxes, nets, wipe down surfaces etc. Although if you saw my fishroom you'd wonder when anything was ever wiped down. But I've been lucky and haven't had anything too nasty.

I don't have a lot of expensive plants and most tanks are bare. So generally I can just chuck out the plants from the offending tank. I have a little bottle of condys crystals just in case. Haven't had to sterilize a sponge but boiling would be a good way I think.

I allways use isotol as I have a lot from TC and it dosnt hert the plants but stops all unwonteds I also use methonol to wipe out mytanks and jars as I have it as a by product from distilling Isotol can be got from the chemist

Cheers

Les

I personally scrub with salty, salty water, rinse really well, repeat.

Then I fill the tank with potassium permanganate, and leave it. Rinse rinse rinse after a bit (usually for most of the day.. or when I remember *cough*). Yes, it does stain.. but nothing a good scrubbing can get off.

White vinegar will be scrubbed all over.. and then bathed in it overnight. Rinsed again. Rinse it till you can rinse no more!

Then the tank is left in the sun for a couple days. Sometimes a week.. as long as there is sun and until I want my tank back.

Seems to work quite well for me.

Don't get the PP on your skin, it makes you go brown *lol*

Ah yes, I've figured that one out!

Good tip - do NOT being sterilizing your tank just before you have to go somewhere.

Young Grasshopper at karate: Dai Sempai Sarah? Why are your hands brown?

Me: Young Grasshopper, it is potassium permanganate.

A very confused seven-year-old young grasshopper look right about here.

Me: I was using it to clean my fish tank.

Young Grasshopper: You're funny.

Various Young Grasshopper giggles at Dai Sempai Sarah's hands (it was only a little smear, honestly).

Me: ALRIGGHHHTTTY.. PUSHUPS!!!