Tissue Culture

Hi Jarrod and Matt

Yes I have a tissue culture set up I used to propogate ornamentle Gingers and Cordalyn so I have a lot of different nutrients that I can use so I will net crawl to find out the right ones I have a standerd one for woody periniels but I think the cordy one might be best

Thanks

Cheers

Les

@ Matt

I get my supplies from America but there are supliers here in Australia, you best bet is to ask an australian supplier to send you a kit I would take to long to explain hear but ther are a lot of protocals to follow and hygien is first and formost supplies are expensive to start of with and you can start of with an aquarium on its side and gradualy get the more expensive hardware but read up first Matt and talk to Jodie OK

@ Pyrefly

I dont have a lot of matterial at hand on it except for formulers for different nutrient mixes as I learnt way back when I first left school I did a horticultural apprenticship and after that got into tissue culture and the rest has been a work in progress there are some good sites on the net and a godd understanding of science and chemicals and plant bioligie helps as well but like I said to Matt Hygiene is one of the biggest problems most find with it but it is realy ammazing what you can get from so little I used to sell my plants when I first retierd but the nusery I used to sell to closed down so I only do it if its important and the glass house is big enough for quite a few tanks

Cheers

Les

Hi Razzi

No they dont realy grow faster but you can produce a lot more from a small amount. You basicly take a growth bud (epical. auxilery tuber shoot or lilly scale etc)this is trimed back ahd washed thoughrely then placed in a bleach and water soulution then trimed then wash in a alchole solution then placed in a growth Media ( usualy nutrients,aminoacids and hormons suspended in agar) all of this is done in a sterile enviroment (laminer flow hood) tools are steralized at each pointthe growth nutrients are tweecked to couse the growing bud to produce multiple side buds these cultures are then divided again and again under sterile conditions each time in renewed media. I keep my flascked cultures in growth chambers where temprature and light can be regulated after this proces cultures are placed in to media that have difrent composition of hormons amino acids and nutriants to promot root growth once root growth is established depending on what you are culturing a number of divisions can be mad of the plantlets and then they are hardend of in a controled enviroment. a flow sheet can be made of this with control points and critical control points placed in this will help develop protocals to follow. thats it in a nut shell its not rocket sience but it is science all of this can be achived with out the fancy equipment with things avalable in the kitchine and then as you progress add to you equipment IE a laminer flow cabinate can cost $3000.00 and up or you can make one your self using perspex and hep filters and fans

so in ansewring you question it is quicker to get a larger quantity of cuttings from a little amount of material espesialy if it is rare

I do hope this explains it enough in the small amount of room available

Cheers

Les

Les, I only really want to culture one or two species of plants. Could I possibly send you some material I get off them once they have grown? I am wanting to do C. Parva mainly, I have 2 massive rizomes (spelling fail *lol*)but they don't produce pups. The original owner only got a very small amount of pups in 2 years. I couldn't justify spending massive amounts for it though. Could I pay you to do it please?

Thanks Jungles I was going to use a hosta mix as I have used it on Aroids with some success but I can get an Aroid mix and tweek it are you in to TC at all Jungles?

@ Matt

Hi Matt I would love to BUT we have HUGE quarentine rules for the inport of plant material to this state I think we follow a close second to TAS but If you look on line for Kitchine Kit Tissue Culture it will show yo how to do it yourself give it a try or ask jodie if she can teach you

Sorry I am not able to help but I will try look up the plant you are discribing and find out if the plant material is allready hear OK

Cheers

Les

Ps What is the C for ( C. Parva) full botanical name please

Edited by les

Bad Pyrefly! You should have posted a warning for eBay addicts like me! Oh gawd! I can feel a new hobby coming on. I'm going to need an intervention. You people are such bad influences! Thankfully I can't think of a single thing I'd like to culture. Bolbitis. Who said that? Calamansi limes. STOP IT!!

Hi All

That looks similer to what I first started of with so go for it guys.

Hey Razzi TC is amazzing and dosnt take a lot of time and is great when you just wont to relax

Matt why cripts?

I know more about terestreals than aquatics so I am only submizing semi aquatics would be like terestrial and Aqua is a whole new game park but I will try and find some hear and start a project on it

Cheers

Les

They look great and are easy. Most reproduce very easily, not so much for parva. It's a great foreground plant and a guy on APC TC'ed it for a foreground. I want to share it with my friends down here too. I got 2 of them so I could propagate them and share them around. I recall there was a website with the "recipe" needed for crypts. They are aroids to.

Hi All

So after a little reserch if you go to this address ( http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199282616/ch02.pdf ) it has the compositions for the madia and tech needed for Anubis TC

I hope this helps

Cheers

Les

Ohhh this is interesting, i kinda want to try it as well haha

here is a DIY type article http://www.quisqualis.com/tv03tc01p1.html still alto of technical stuff

Edited by Neffy

Hi All

I got the Crypt Parva and broadleaf Anubis on order so when they arive I will Give it a go

Cheers

Les

PS go and give it a go Neffy its good fun I think

Edited by les

What tank are you putting the Anubis and parva in? All crypts like a slightly alkeline substrate with loads of nutrients. Some shell grit in soil under 2-3cm of propagating sand would be perfect. Shouldn't affect the ph of the water. I'll have to ask Santa for a TC kit :P I would love a little tank dominated with parva and a heap for my friends. Let me know how you go with it and if you have any tips for me. It might not have a big rizome, these guys here have one 5-7cm long each and they are 2 years old.

I was going to chop them as soon as I got them so wasnt planing on planting them at all straight in to TC so I can get started but I will take that advise on board for when I do plant them out . thank Mighty Matt

Cheers

Les

I ment when you have them ready to plant out. If you werntbin WA I could send you a heap of plants to start a tank.

Do you think moss could be TC'ed? Some of them sell for a fortune, could be a little project to fund my hobby :)

I dont realy know Matt as I have only realy done terestrials Aqua is a Brave New World with new hiden pitfalls so I am willing to experiment as it will keep me ocupied, do you mean ferns like Java moss or Java fern as ther are some sneaky ways to shock java fern in to producing plantlets But if its other furns I will need a botanical name and the do a bit of resurch on then first OK send me a list

Cheers

Les