Gold HMPK?

loongfu

okay im planning on buying one or two to start my line, but i have trouble telling which is gold.

this guy says THIS ONE is gold

Posted Image

this guy says this one is gold too

Posted Image

so does this guy

Posted Image

but i think this one is the guy that isnt lying

Posted Image

these are all from aquabid, but this is a photo from livetropicalexport

Posted Image

the one from livetropicalexport appeals to me the most, but what do you all think? are they all the same colour, just the lighting playing tricks? lol. appreciate the help!

Red gold Cellophane gold Yellow gold Gold Gold There seems to be alot of different shades of gold, the first one is redgold so it isnt actually just gold. The live tropical Export one, As mishy said is the best i think, that gold will look better in real life and the branching in the caudal is really good. The main thing to look for with golds is the fancy camera tricks to bring out the metallicness!

:D

Call me paranoid, obsessive, what ever you like, but it really worries me just how much some people accept the different body shapes of bettas as normal. Sure, fish like rainbows have that obvious topline back-head 'step',

( http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...2005-39,GGLR:en )

but bettas are not rainbows. A proper betta should have a nice smooth topline with no irregularities at all.

Some of the bettas I have seen, especially on Aquabid, have awsome finnage but still have that defect. I know most of you guys might not think like this, but, just because they are being sold by top breeders/seller on Aquabid, doesnt mean that the defect is normal. When I first got into HMs, I used to think that finnage and color was every thing. Untill my first hm spawn revealed to me just how devastating bad body shape can be to a spawn. Further observation showed that, in my case at least, the defect is genetic, but may have environmental influence.

Also, someone tell me, why would one want to pay USD 40+ for a betta with awsome color and finnage but has a kink in the head, like this:

Posted Image

When they can wait for a similar betta without the defect to come along? :D

BTW, the other plakats listed around that plakat by livetropicalexport have similar defects, so I am inclined to think that they are siblings and the defect is genetic :tongue:

Sorry guys, but um, I have a problem. I am obsessed with betta body shape :D

*ignores disparaging anal fin comments* :(

A proper betta should have a nice smooth topline with no irregularities at all.

I don't necessarily agree. Isn't it a matter of personal preference? Some people really like what is sometimes described as the snakeface characteristic.

Is there an IBC standard that deals with this?

From what I seen of 'snakeface' bettas, they do not have the defect that I am talking about. A proper betta splendens should have a smooth curve of the head to the caudal across its topline. No dents and bumps and humpbacks or little jagged irregularities should be visible. It may be a matter of preference, but if people start prefering defected bodies, then where is the betta breeding hobby going to end up? :( Loogfu, if you really like those gold bettas that are listed there, well, go for it, but please keep in mind that there is the risk of many deformed fry being produced from those fish. :D

:) Nah, the male in my sig and avatar may have a very slight humpback, but it seems that there is another betta behind him that makes him look bent, I checked out the photo on photoshop, he may not be perfectly curved, but he is not bent at all. No lumps or bumps or dents at all :) If you look at the gold mplakat, you can clearly see that his back drops and dents down to become his head. It is not smooothly joined up to his head like it should be :) And I do agree that these things can be a matter of preference, but I quite like a strong body like this cg has. His intended partner has a nice slim body with a not very curved topline, so it should balance things out anyway. ;)

also for the record, if people didn't breed their personal preferences, where would the betta hobby be today? I doubt we'd have HMs, or CTs, or metallics. Or melanos. Or HM plakats. The list goes on. If you're going to judge peoples' personal preferences, arguably breeding a fish with HM finnage is wrong. It's so big and heavy and prone to finrot. And DTs are (allegedly) prone to deformities. Should we stop breeding them as well? Of course not. I think we need to be a bit less judgmental of other peoples' choices. It's not like an imperfect "head/body line" condemns a fish to a lifetime of agony. It's just not aesthetically pleasing to some people. So if you don't like them, don't buy them. But I don't think it's fair to suggest that people who DO like them are wrong or that breeding them is unethical or anything.

Lastly, these are "defected bodies" according to what standard? Who dictates what a "proper betta splendens" looks like? And whoever they are, do they consider DTs, for example, "proper betta splendens"? Don't most DTs have "defected bodies", it's just that the "defect" appeals to many who perpetuate it by breeding it? What if the first breeder of CTs had formed the view that the lack of webbing between rays was a "defect" and culled the lot of them? Just some matters for debate. Debate is healthy.

I admit that I am being abit judgemental when it comes to betta body shape. From now on, any thing that I say about betta body shape is purely my opinion. If people like bettas that have a dent in their back, then that's their preference and all I can say to that is :) . But in this thread it seemed that we were discussing golds and buying the golds listed on Aquabid. I thought it was something that I should point out that, well, if you want to raise golds, you should take note of the body shape too...And I just didnt like that defect. The defect that I keep mentioning in most of my recent posts ( :) ) may well be a defect in my eyes only. I agree that people should breed according to their preferences, I am glad that people have done so, if they didnt, there wouldn't be all these wonderful mutations of the splendens species.

Lastly, these are "defected bodies" according to what standard?  Who dictates what a "proper betta splendens" looks like?  And whoever they are, do they consider DTs, for example, "proper betta splendens"?  Don't most DTs have "defected bodies", it's just that the "defect" appeals to many who perpetuate it by breeding it? 

Just some matters for debate. Debate is healthy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not to this day seen a wild splendens that had the defect I have come to dispise. All the wild splendens I have seen have had nice smooth, slightly curved toplines. This is roughly the standard that I go by.

If the first bettas I had ever gone to buy had that defect, I doubt if you all would ever have come to meet me on these forums... :)

Debate is healthy, it keeps the mind active, although at this time of the night I can't think as clearly as I could :)

Archived