The Big Ears Have Landed :)

shadoh

I was a little worried about how this pair would look colourwise. I received an email from the breeder a week or so ago telling me that their colours had changed since I bought them and no further explaination. To be homest, I like their "new look"

BE1.jpg

BEM3.jpg

BEF1.jpg

BEM4.jpg

BEM2.jpg

• 1 month later...

My boy has been nibbling at his tail (caught him today) and the chewed ends look like they're getting rot. It has spread to the middle of his caudal and he has a couple of small holes. I have moved him to a heated medicated tub. Hopefulle he will make a full recovery.

In the meantime, I was mucking around with the camera last week and took this portrait shot of my boy :)

BE1-1.jpg

That's a great photo. Well done.

Sorry to hear this......that looks exactly like my copper boy before I moved him on. Good luck with the treatment.

Does anyone know why they taibite????

Keep him busy with a couple of fast woman he wont have time to worry about the tail then LOL

But as Mighty Matt said I have heard the same reasoning

Cheers

Les

He is still amazzing though Jarrod

Edited by les

Ian continues to tail bite - my philosophy has to do with mobility, he just cant swim with all that bloody tail, so now I keep an eye on it, keep salt and a bit of bettafix, and wish him all the best.

For a while there I was medicating cos I thought it was rot... but after busting him, I can relax, keep his water clean and (soft) medicate regularly.

Sorry to hear it.. t'is a damn shame.

Has he got DT genes do you think? or any RT in his finnage?

P.S. Handsome pants.

-Ness

Ness, I'd bet everything I own on him having DT in there somewhere. He has RT too. Didn't show up in his auction photo, but a couple of months later.... I'll just have to get used to the fact that he won't ever look 100%. I've heard tail biting is hereditary, so not sure about breeding him now...

Hey Jarrod I was thinking about this fellow today, do you think the Black water extract might help as it contains B group vitamins and is suposed to liven acid loving fish up

At first i was thinking of some form of sadation to calm him but maby the tail wont feel to much of a hindrace if he is on a bit of a buzz

Just a thought so he dosnt do to much damage to him self

Cheers

Les

I thought the black water extract was similar to the effects of the IAL...........

You could always crush up a Valium and add it too his water.......or better still, use Valium yourself and his tail won't bother you. Lol.

Edited by Busman

Lol Bus - pitch one over here - I'm having heart palpitations about going away and feeding 50 individual fish - what the?!

Jarrod, I associate the tail-biting with the behavioral vices in other animals.... (such as horses crib biting, or wind sucking) - obviously this is where I have more behavioral knowledge - but there's some truth in it.... each of these vices are results of environmental stimulis.

I doubt we'll get to the bottom of the tail-biting issue any time soon, but in my experience with Ian and the Armadillo, it's a result of the physical symptom (i.e. finnage/tail inhibiting optimal movement)

so they just chomp it.

I read in an article somewhere that there are nerve endings throughout the fins of all fish - so they are getting "information" that it hurts - so they must be pretty motivated!

Anyways, if you can cope with it, I just medicate the tank and keep an eye on it (not much you can do)

I wouldn't let it stop you spawning him, in fact it's a reason TO spawn, and you can do a longitudinal study throughout the generations!

-Ness

I think I'll just pop the vallium, spawn the damn fish and stop worrying about everything *lol*

Seriously though, I am sure it is the excess finnage this guy has that is making him do it. I've got him medicated now and waiting for the rot to clear up (looks like infection set in where he had been nibbling.) I really want to get a spawn or 2 out of him as well, so will try him again once the rot clears up.