The Big Ears Have Landed :)

shadoh

• 2 weeks later...

Looking no better or worse. Sooner I get him in the spawn tank, the better. Got another tail biter on my hands now. Just heard from someone that the AquaBid DT male I have waiting to be picked up arrived with a chewed up tail.... Grrrr

How exciting! I do love new phush in the mix...

Jarrod, I know how you feel about the tail biting, it's just another thing to maintain, but I suppose its something for us to think about.

I mean, my two first males Fuzz (copper HM) and Ian (idiot blue DT) are both tail biters, and I think it's come from older age, a bit of RT and too much finnage.

(just my opinion)

So when I breed Fuzz again (if I want another copper spawn) I'll think twice about putting him to a heavily finned sibling - theoretically this will produce the same result - heavy finned fish that tail-bite.... so I'll go with something with less volume... and hope this removes the behavior....unless the biting is genetic and it's not physically related?

How do you think it'll change you're attitude toward who you choose to breed him with (totally depends on what you believe is the cause of biting! Mine is only a theory)

Innnnnnnnnnnteresting!

-Betta psycholoNesst

(oh, thats a good one)

Well, now I have 2 tail biters, I can keep them together in a divided tank in my special tail biting formula :D I am sure it is the excessive finnage that makes at least some of them do it. Dumbo is a RT, and the new fish is a DTHM. I did think it was the stress of shipping that may have coused the DT to have a munch, but the breeder sent an extra "replacement" pair with them, so it is obviously something he did before leaving Thailand.

I probably won't be breeding the DT with the female he is being sent with. She is DT as well, and his body is already a little too short. I bought him for his gorgeous blue/orange butterfly pattern. As for Dumbo, I want a pure big ears spawn before attempting outcrosses. The female is a little bit tail heavy, but can't find a long fin HM big ears female that isn't. I'll breed them, then work on a few outcrosses. If the trait doesn't get passed on to non big ears fish, then I at least will have some pure big ears.

Hi Jarrod

someone said that she may have some Red DT HM PK in her next shipment as I was talking to her on the phone last week so its not a definat but if they are there I want them They are to go with the Red Platnum Dragon girl to create a symetrical line Jodie recons it could work and I know it will take time but that is somthing that I have so I dont mind

I cant wait to see yours BF HM DT blue Wow that sounds like for intresting viewing. If you dont use the girl with the boy what will your plans be for her?

Cheers

Les

Hi Les. I'll get an orange single tailed HM pair eventually. I'll breed the DT male to the orange female and the DT female to the orange male. That way I'll have 2 parallel lines I can cross with one another.

You can see my DT boy (before he got a taste for his tail) here: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwbettasdt1303387618 I could always cross him into a PK line to get similar colours in a PK. The breeder threw in an extra PK pair with my order. No idea what colour.

Red DTPKs will be nice :D are they in this shipment that is in quarantine now, or the next shipment? I wouldn't mind having a look before someone sends them on to you...