Tell me where to go, literally!

Yanagi

A sad, sad fact of my life is my driver *cough* mother *cough* is not a fish fan and so I don't get a chance to visit many LFS at all. At least, my ceaseless harassment has garnered some results. 'Well which ones?!' I take this to mean 'Gather a list as large as you can of all fish shops in sydney.' So...

What are you favourite LFS in Sydney? I am mainly interested in ones that either have A) nice and/or wild Bettas and Apistos or B) Marine section, bonus points for decent coral selection. :P I certainly don't mind ones that also have other pet stuff!

(I'm on a bit of a sugar rush at the moment.. please excuse me. :D)

Aww, you're my favourite admin Lisa. LOL

Already on the list was Aquaristic, St George and B & C Aquariums.. I'm just not sure I can convince her to drive that far. Maybe I she will let me drive, what is it, 150 hours for the learners log and all that, this may help put me up a few hours, haha.

I've heard of Majestic Aquariums, but that one probably is too far of a detour from the others. :(

You should organise an LFS crawl. Then your mum won't have to drive you. Of course you'll have to make sure someone coming on the crawl can drive. When I lived in Sydney 14 years ago (yikes!) I drove around to all my favourite aquariums nearly every Saturday!! Auburn, St George, Lam's (not the one in Paramatta, there used to be one in Campsie or thereabouts) and Manly were my regular stops. I kinda miss those days (except for the living away from partner and family, and never having enough money part).

Hey everyone, I *coughcough* just came up with a brilliant idea, we should do a LFS crawl. *lol* just kidding :P

But good idea, anyone up for it?

I did go to Aquaristic and B & C yesterday, didn't get much though. Aquaristic said they'd have more fighters in.. a week or two? I forget now.

I feel for you. I can't imagine living in a city smaller than Melbourne. As it is I feel a bit deprived and lacking access to things because Australia often feels so isolated. Every time I take a trip to the country I think how nice it must be to live in the wide open spaces, peace and quiet, beautiful scenery, then I remember all the things I like having access to. I wish it were possible to have the best of both worlds.

I'd definitely be up for a LFS crawl, maybe we can combine that with the next SBG - ie, a morning LFS crawl and afternoon bbq/gathering. Or something. I actually don't have any more fish, though, and don't really plan on getting any so it would be a social thing for me (until I see all the fish I will inevitably end up buying...).

I don't have to be the boss of the LFS crawl BTW - happy for someone else to run with the idea. As you all will have seen, I don;t have a lot of time on my hands lately so would not be a lot of use in getting this organised.

@ FlameDragon, Where in NW Tas are you? I love that part of Australia and keep going back, but I have wondered how I would cope with actually living there. without a Westfield or similar somewhere within my vicinity! It's great that Tassie doesn't have that sort of monstrosity at every corner, but at the same time, it would be a big adjustment after having had it.

@ Lilli - in Burnie. Two LFS, one of which is a "Pets" place so can be good/dodgy depending on the day. Neither has much in the way of substrates,plants or the Seachem products that I love and finding the fish you want can be a bit of a challenge at times too :lol: its kinda "luck of the draw"!

Moving interstate takes getting used to even if it is from city to city. I moved from Melbourne to Sydney to Perth back to Melbourne then back to Perth. Took me ages to get used to the different words for different things, different shopping days and hours and different road rules.

For example: Melbourne shopping was 8.30-5 M-W 8.30-9 Th,F 8.30-5 Sa,Su. Syndey was no Thursday night shopping. Perth has no Sunday shopping unless its school holidays. Then we went back to Melbourne which now had 24 hour shops. Then back to Perth which now (as of a couple of months ago) has shops open until 9 on a weeknight :o

Then there's Potato Cakes at the fish & chip shops in Melbourne which are called Potato Scallops in Syndey and Perth. Devon is now Poloney.

Melbourne schools have Kinder, then Primary School is Prep-Year 6, then High School is Year 7-Year 12. Perth schools have Primary School is Kinder-Year 7, then High School is Year 8-Year 12. Prep is called Pre-Primary!

Moving state is so confusing!

Sorry to go off topic :D

• 1 month later...

a sydney LFS crawl?! thats an awesome idea! i'm kinda having visuals of a whole crowd of us crazy fish people stampeding into stores all over sydney. the poor shop assistants won't know whats hit em! :lol:

i know of a store along anzac pde in kingsford called slippery little suckers though i've not been there in a while but i'm positive they import bettas from thailand. the vet i started my nursing training at used to have an aquarium in our reception and we got our supplies from them and another shop called coral sea aquariums. unfortunately i know for sure that coral sea aren't there any more.

i'm going to try and convince my work to let me set up an aquarium (i was thinking of doing a walstad NPT) but they already have a green tree frog called gus in reception taking up some space...he's forgiven though cuz he's a trooper :P