My planted tank

Matt_95

Some nice plants there Matt (and fish).... some good sized swords and looks like a few types of moss growing out there as well as some blyxa and subwassertang as well it looks like....

What are you using for substrate? There's a definite dark layer with that reddish topping on it....

It's actually a mini pelia carpet, my bristlenose have just decided they want to eat it so it is not going well and is all kicked up. The tank has been going for 7 weeks or so. I have not done 1 waterchange on this and still have 0 nitrates thanks to Diana Walstads Method.

I am using soil as the first layer capped by zeolite. Heres the 2 pics on the end that come up as links:

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments :)

Damn!!! Mini pellia is on my hit list at the moment - I'm pretty keen on mosses and various types of pellia ..... haven't got the mini yet.... and keep the BN's off it - they really do mess up mosses at times unless its free floating (which you can't really do with mini pellia anyway)..... using my 40litre wild Betta tanks as growouts for mosses at the moment and seems to be working ok...

Is that subwassertang at the back of the mini pellia? Looks like it but can't see it clearly.....

Might have to nick down to the local nursery and get some garden soil (that's what the Walstead method uses isn't it?) and top it off with the red brick gravel I've got - very red clay brick crushed so should do a reasonable job....

Nice job with you tank mate and even better job given its only 7 weeks old!!!

I don't know where wide bay is but your welcome to some if you want it. I'm giving it all away. There is subwassertang behind it and Also normal pelia through it.

Make sure you don't get the stuff that is like little pieces of bark, I also added something called soil activator made by naked farmer. It also can't have any fertilizers in it. This tank gets no co2 or ferts!!

I am amazed by the growth. The biggest sword would be aroun 300% bigger and the blyxa 500%

Matt

Matt... the Wide Bay is an area around Hervey Bay in Qld - formed by the coast and Fraser Island....

I wouldn't say no to any pellia, mini pellia, mosses you have but would happily buy some from you or at least pay for postage... let me know by pm if you can spare some and I'll fix you up for postage, etc....

If those swords have gone that much bigger in 7 weeks - that's way more than mine have ever done - although I've managed to get them to send out runners at my last attempt which had potting mix under the gravel - that's where I went wrong I think - the potting mix had too much organic matter in it.... just topsoil is the go this time and I'll see if I can get a growth spurt on my swords too.... That blyxa too - I had some grow for a short while - then they got dug up by BN's and I ended up losing them all - might try them again and also really want to get some pogo helferi to grow - last lot were eaten off by a BN too!!!

Edited by fishbites

It is only the rose sword with that growth increase, the one next to it went emmersed while I was away and is still recovering from the trim.

I'll figure out how to post in the next few days and send you a pm. Just pay for the postage I'm giving it all away any way :)

that's good if the rose sword went ape - they are usually fairly slow aren't they? Whatever you're doing you've got the mix right to get that growth....

Ok if you're giving away the pellia / mosses I'll take whatever you want to give - and if there's anything I can do / send you in the future let me know for sure!

PM sent....

I'm not sure if it is supposed to be slow growing. I based my id on the rosey, translucent (is that the right word for see through-ish?) and the fact that it is one of the biggest swords.

Thank you sarah!!

Shadoh, Hua doesn't hassle the guppies at all but her BF, fury, kept biting the tale of a swallow tale (very long fins) female so I had to give her away but he hasn't touched the spanish dancers.

I'm thinking of doing a sorority in this tank.