How many have you imported...

Luke k

I tend to wait until the fish come out of quarantine before buying. I'm too afraid my dream fish will drop dead in transit. The only ones i have specifically imported are wilds, and that makes about 12 in total, and 2 that i had that were specifically chosen as mine. the others i picked through the shipment (but i did hound for the shipment in the first place :))

I think the most I have imported in 1 hit were the ones on the last shipment. 2 males and 3 females, each chosen individually (no "sibling females" for me any more). I have too many fry growing on to justify more than that atm.

The main problem when you order 'sibling' females, is you are sent matching females. While sometimes this is ok, you dont always get a good quality fish, alot of the time they send ordinary females. Edie tells me that the actual goodness of a line is carried by the female, and many breeders dont release quality females as they dont want others breeding them. Lisa and i both think its best to pick your females out individually as you would the male so that you can get the best quality fish avaliable :lol:

as Phil said, a lot can be added to a line by the genes the females carry. I have always received dainty pretty little sibling females who, when spawned with a magnificent HM male, produce fair to middling deltas. Then I saw the fry that Coral (where is Coral?) produced from a very heavily finned HM female and that got me thinking, then I had the privilege of hearing Jodi-Lea explain the difference between breeder-type and show-type females. So now I choose females as carefully as males.

Archived