Perspex dividers

Yanagi

I bought a custom built 'wall' tank to divide up for 4 of my Betta boys with my dads help.

He's too lazy to drill holes in the perspex (for water flow/heat distribution, etc) and won't let me handle power tools (not that I blame him :dontknow: ), so I came up with the idea to use plastic mesh/canvas stuff and cut a 'window' in the perspex and silicon the mesh onto it. However before we go cutting huge holes in the perspex I wanted to ask if there's any reason this wouldn't work. Does anyone see any problems with this? (Obviously aside from disease spreading, and I don't see that being an issue).

The perspex will be sand blasted to stop clear view of each other but they will be able to see each other pretty clearly through the mesh. The mesh section will basically be the entire middle section of the perspex.

Picture of the WIP tank. :P

Divided.jpg

Also if anyone has any suggestions on (inexpensive) filtration, I'm all ears! Right now we're considering using an internal filter in one end with a hose acting as a spray bar into the other 3 sections. I originally wanted undergravel filters as well but 'They're useless and a stupid idea.' so that's a no go.

I originally wanted undergravel filters as well but 'They're useless and a stupid idea.'

Not so! Especially in a divided tank. But I suppose you have to do as they say :dontknow:

Apart from getting algae on what you have suggested doing, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. You'd need a 'frame' of some sort stuck over the edges of the mesh to ensure it stayed stuck down neatly. The males will be able to see each other through the mesh, though.

There's no arguing with my dad lol.. I could print out 5 A4 pages of people worshipping UG filters and he would just call them all idiots.

Hmm, I hope we have enough perspex left to make frames.

I have no problem with them seeing each other, all of them have either lived with other Betta or had neighbours before so they'll probably be over it within a day. :dontknow:

Thanks. :) We used plastic book binder/spine things from Officeworks. Had to buy a plastic cover thing with it as well but they were only $2.50 each I think.

They were siliconed in place and then used the dremel drill to file them down so that there was enough width to slot the dividers in. It's still a tight fit though.

He also rejected the frames around the mesh idea...

Drilling sounds like the easiest and simplest solution. About 4 holes on each panel should do it. I personally, would put the holes vertically on one side of each panel, then have the holes at the back of the tank for 2 of the panels, and in front for one panel... this will create a gentle flow "zig-zagging" through the entire tank - this should prevent setting up a strong current only in one area of the tank.

Also, drill before sand blasting so that any sharp edges at the drill holes get sanded/smoothed out to prevent the fish hurting themselves if trying to flare through the holes.

I brought up all of these points to my dad just now and he dismissed them all. :/ Thanks for trying though!

He's gonna slap on the silicon thick around the edges of the canvas/mesh so there shouldn't be anywhere for fins to get caught and won't bother with frames.

I overslept today, and woke up to find my dad finished the 'windows'. He cut them way too big. :)

I am so annoyed now...

Ugh.jpg

He didn't even do it neatly like he said he would, they don't look like they're in properly and I'm willing to bet that if I bumped it the darn thing would fall right out. It's one big, ugly mess. Argh. *lol*

They're also not siliconed onto the perspex, but into it. There is no overlay, if that makes sense. To me that just seems like it would make them so much more unstable.

I suppose. I just worry that if the perspex does indeed fall out that I'll end up with two shredded fish. But I suppose that's not hard to fix. Finding accommodations for them while the dividers are fixed, now that would be the problem.

Never hard finding alternative accommodation, raid mum's salad bowl cupboard.

Here's the trick for Xmas, Birthday & Christmas for her ... A while ago Ikea had fabulous big, thick, clear, glass salad bowls going out for $3 ea and they're excellent in emergencies or for treating illness etc.

• 3 months later...

Been super busy and haven't managed to have it running properly. I ALMOST did, then my 2ft tank cracked and I literally threw everything that was in it into the divided tank that was half full of water.. Once my new 30 inch tank (see 2ft community tank thread) is planted up the way I want it, I'll be working on the divided tank. This is everything from the 2ft tank, now in the 30inch tank. At least I know the tank doesn't have any leaks? *lol*

divitank.jpg

For each section I'm planning different arrangements. One will have some tall/branch type driftwood with lots of moss and anubias tied over it and basically just driftwood (with mosses tied on) piled to create lots of hidey holes. My wimpy little black lace will probably go in there and spend his life hiding. He gets stress stripes if I do so much as turn on the light over his tank.. :(. Another will be done iwagumi style (I hope.. probably won't have enough lighting for a proper carpet in it), the other two I haven't thought too much about.

It all depends on what I can get away with in the tank. I'd really like to get a carpet of sorts going in at least once of them. I'd settle for java moss carpet if that'll be the only thing that works.. But anyway, I'd love some ornaments in the other two and give them sort of, themes..

For example, a carpet with scattered rocks and http://www.petsathome.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/large/20523.jpg (link to image) somewhere in there too.

The other, maybe a cliff type scape.. I really have too many ideas and not enough time, resources, funds, motivation.. LOL

Filtration I'm still deciding. I was looking into very, very small canister filters. I think the brand I was looking at was called Eden, can't quite remember now. It's been a while. Either way, it'll have a spray bar that will run the length of the tank, or there abouts. The braces may make that difficult and the spraybar might only just reach into half of the end sections.. Or I might have to cut a slot out of the tops of the dividers and carefully fit a hose/tube into it and not leave enough room for jumping. Lots to consider since my best boys will be going in it.

Woah, massive reply. I just go off rambling a lot, don't I? :blush: